Can't raise mag

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted a thread a few hours before this one but couldn't get a response I was looking for. So basically my magnesium level won't go up. I was able to get my magnesium from 1140 to 1185 today, but after 1185, and after dosing more...the number wouldn't move. Tried 3x. My magnesium mix is from BRS and is made up of Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfide. Pls help!

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what test are you using for Mg? How many gallons is your tank? What salt mix do you use to make your salt water? Which Mg mix from BRS are you using exactly (please post link). I can probably help you from there.
I am using the Salifert Magnesium test kit. My tank is 125 gallons. I am using Instant ocean sea salt, the purple one. And this is the link where I got it from. It's the magnesium mix. It has magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate in it. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/2-pa...-starter-package-bulk-reef-supply-bundle.html

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, yes for a tank that size you're going to want to wait several hours to make sure anything you've added is evenly distributed throughout the tank before you test. Also, many salt mixes don't have enough Mg in them and I believe that Instant Ocean is one of them. You may want to consider upgrading your salt to something like Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Regardless, you'll have to add a lot of Mg to get up to 1300 ppm, but once you finally get up there, it's relatively easy to maintain it with small supplementation.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask what test you were using for Mag, but I was beat to it. I see you are using Salifert. I am not sure of the reliability of their kits, but you will need to wait several hours before testing to allow the Mag to dissolve. I use my Apex and GHL to check it, so I can't relate in testing it. I would try to keep the Mag at 1380 plus. I keep mine at 1500 plus, as the surplus will not hurt anything.

I usually wait 24hr's before testing...after adding additives that will influence the readings.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salifert kit is barely accurate to within 50 ppm. Which is fine for Mag because its not that critical. 1200 to 1500....

Since I also use the Salifert kit I'm going to assume his mag is between 1150 and 1200.

I would target at least 1250 to insure a delta worth picking up on the test kit, and according to the reef calculator that's about 9oz dry magnesium sulfate or magnesium chloride. Its also around 20 tablespoons of that BRS mix. Again, we are dealing with magnesium and not Walter cooking on Breaking Bad :)

So, scoop out 20 tablespoons of the mag powder, dissolve it in some tank water and dose it over 24 hours.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back