Captive Bred Mandarin Sourcing

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a LFS recently and was looking at some of their dragonets. The employee, who seemed generally knowledgeable, told me that the Mandarins were captive bred. I asked if they came from Biota or ORA and he told me they were from another vendor. The fish were larger than the captive bred Mandarins that I've seen before, but they were not full size. Maybe an inch or so long. Are there other companies that are able to aquaculture these fish, or was his information inaccurate? I haven't been able to find resources about it anywhere online.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interested to find out to. Some are so tiny captive bred its almost a joke....a bad one

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I don't see the size of the fish as an issue. It's better to captive breed them, increasing the chances of survival and the odds that they'll take to prepared foods. Also they're not pulled out of the ocean, so that's a plus. Besides, I think they look cute when they're so tiny.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of captive bred. One was pretty small less than 1” and one was 1.5” and looked huge next to the little one.

Attachments

• 8370AD71-ABDD-45EA-8705-DDECCC02DE1F.jpeg
    8370AD71-ABDD-45EA-8705-DDECCC02DE1F.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 98

ChrisB4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great experience buying mine at Seahorse Savvy. I bought an aquarium conditioned wild caught pair last summer. I have them in a 15 gallon tank with a pair of clowns (that I also purchased at Seahorse Savvy). They are fat and happy eating the same prepared food as the clowns. I occasionally dump in some bbs that I hatch for my dwarf seahorses or a bottle of pods, but those are a supplement, not their main diet.

Fish (Seahorse Safe) – Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a great experience buying mine at Seahorse Savvy. I bought an aquarium conditioned wild caught pair last summer. I have them in a 15 gallon tank with a pair of clowns (that I also purchased at Seahorse Savvy). They are fat and happy eating the same prepared food as the clowns. I occasionally dump in some bbs that I hatch for my dwarf seahorses or a bottle of pods, but those are a supplement, not their main diet.

Fish (Seahorse Safe) – Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy
2 clowns and 2 mandarins in a 15 gallon tank???????

Sabina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a LFS recently and was looking at some of their dragonets. The employee, who seemed generally knowledgeable, told me that the Mandarins were captive bred. I asked if they came from Biota or ORA and he told me they were from another vendor. The fish were larger than the captive bred Mandarins that I've seen before, but they were not full size. Maybe an inch or so long. Are there other companies that are able to aquaculture these fish, or was his information inaccurate? I haven't been able to find resources about it anywhere online.
Haven’t heard of anyone else. Mine were Biota. Just about 3/4” long. Maybe shorter.
Tank Raise Mandarin Dragonet! Buying fish for the family...OK just me

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just ended up getting a blue mandarin from Biota maybe a month ago. He's doing great and growing at a noticable rate. I don't think he actually gets a chance to eat any of the small frozen food that I occasionally add to the tank, but he is constantly eating pods. I'm culturing them in my basement, so he'll have plenty to eat!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back