Captive-Bred Orchid Dottyback size

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
After losing my favorite fish of 13 months (my dusky jawfish) I’ve decided to only get the hardiest of fish. I won’t remove any of my fish, but no more delicate fish. I’m interested in getting an engineer goby (yes I realize what a pain in the butt they are) and a captive bred orchid dottyback. I plan on ordering them both from TheReeferspot.com, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how big the captive bred fish come in as? I ask this because all the captive bred fish I see at my LFS are babies (puny), and I wonder if dottybacks are similar.
Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an ORA captive bred one from Live Aquaria a couple years ago. It was small, probably 1-1/2". Not sure if that helps or not. You might contact TheReeferspot and see what they say.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the range of an inch for captive

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. How old is it and do you still have it? Any aggression issues at all?
Me?
Looking through my phone, it looks like I've had it maybe not quite 4 years? I would guess less than a year old when I got it, but who knows.

It's in a tie for the wimpiest fish in my tank with my yellow tail damsel. No issues...6 foot 125 gallon though.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me?
Looking through my phone, it looks like I've had it maybe not quite 4 years? I would guess less than a year old when I got it, but who knows.

It's in a tie for the wimpiest fish in my tank with my yellow tail damsel. No issues...6 foot 125 gallon though.
One of my captive-bred dottybacks shares a tank with a purple firefish and a diamond goby. The firefish definitely lets the dottyback know who's the boss of the tank. :)

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss, what happened to the Jawfish? Did it get sick or something?
No clue. I woke up one morning and saw his burrow empty, it’s been three days and his burrow has been filled naturally. I have a 30 long, so if he moved I would have seen it. He was fine the day before - eating like a pig

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D74D50C9-A227-48CB-8A03-7A6048758912.jpeg
This was him a couple months ago. He’s not in his burrow in this picture which is why I could get a good pic

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back