R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about buying directly from biotopa
You still happy to take the risk? No matter what they say? Or do to keep the fish disease and parasite free. Not saying not to trust them or anything it's just if something goes wrong, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D8D43554-78B9-40A7-9A6C-6520EF84C331.jpeg

Here’s a picture of mine after about a year of ownership. This fish survived a lot for such a small guy. I bought directly from biota and it came almost clear and super small but he’s chilling and getting more and more color
Thank you for the photo bud. That tang to me resembles what all captive bred yellow tang looks like. I've never seen one that's not had pigment loss. It looks like you have been feeding it like a pig so I'm glad he's happy in there

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my YT a year ago directly from Biota. I have to admit I was really worried and thought I hade made a big mistake. He was small translucent not much color. Now a year later he is happy, fat, bright yellow and getting bigger everyday. He is best friends with my blue hippo i got from LFS at same time who was also very small, shortly after getting her she got white cotton balls on her tail. I didn’t think she would make it. Now a year later she fat and healthy and runs the tank.

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my YT a year ago directly from Biota. I have to admit I was really worried and thought I hade made a big mistake. He was small translucent not much color. Now a year later he is happy, fat, bright yellow and getting bigger everyday. He is best friends with my blue hippo i got from LFS at same time who was also very small, shortly after getting her she got white cotton balls on her tail. I didn’t think she would make it. Now a year later she fat and healthy and runs the tank.
Could you include photos?

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still happy to take the risk? No matter what they say? Or do to keep the fish disease and parasite free. Not saying not to trust them or anything it's just if something goes wrong, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.
I was just asking them a question ? I wouldn’t chance a fish from you without qt’ing I wouldn’t trust my own family either at that

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red sea ab+?????
Just took this one right now before lights come on. He’s def getting more color. I feed heavy and use mysis with spirulina mostly now that I have algae growth on the rock work but I also soak my food with selcon. It’s only a year old so im
Hoping this year it really picks up in color.

Attachments

• F07E6743-3B4C-4949-9751-91A63808349D.jpeg
    F07E6743-3B4C-4949-9751-91A63808349D.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 202

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT any of my fish, yes this is risky but if you keep an eye on all of the new fish to go in and out of the tank it’s easy. Also a wide range of fish get left with issues when people use copper before seeing anything. Copper burns on gills and mouths tend to be left on sensitive fish (Tilefish being a big one susceptible to this).
Also, if you don’t trust the place you’re buying from I’d recommend getting it from somewhere else OR watch the fish for signs for a good hour or so. I do this with all the fish I get and often I leave them in the ship for Atleast a week depending on fish (Sand Sleeping Wrasses and other more stress prone fish I tend to leave in the store for a week or two depending on how fast they get sold).

GardenofZoas20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thrilled with my Biota YT (direct). This guy starting eating TDO pellets from day one in the observation tank and was extremely active. The color and size increased quickly. Six months later it is the DT along with it's best bud tomini. The YT grazes all day, peacefully coexists with everything in the tank, and I could not be happier. Maybe some could find something cosmetic they don't like (I can't), but if I could get every fish captive bred I would do it.
fish.jpg

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thrilled with my Biota YT (direct). This guy starting eating TDO pellets from day one in the observation tank and was extremely active. The color and size increased quickly. Six months later it is the DT along with it's best bud tomini. The YT grazes all day, peacefully coexists with everything in the tank, and I could not be happier. Maybe some could find something cosmetic they don't like (I can't), but if I could get every fish captive bred I would do it.
fish.jpg
+1

My biota eats anything I put in the tank and is a model citizen. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I was in the market for one.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had 3, one unfortunately died after the ATO went dry overnight I'm guessing from the stress, the second had something causing some constipation/bloating.

First 2 no HLLE, 3rd has a tiny bit if you put your face up to the tank and stare at it around his eye and a racing stripe but has grown extremely fast and as is yellow big bird.

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT any of my fish, yes this is risky but if you keep an eye on all of the new fish to go in and out of the tank it’s easy. Also a wide range of fish get left with issues when people use copper before seeing anything. Copper burns on gills and mouths tend to be left on sensitive fish (Tilefish being a big one susceptible to this).
Also, if you don’t trust the place you’re buying from I’d recommend getting it from somewhere else OR watch the fish for signs for a good hour or so. I do this with all the fish I get and often I leave them in the ship for Atleast a week depending on fish (Sand Sleeping Wrasses and other more stress prone fish I tend to leave in the store for a week or two depending on how fast they get sold).
I said the same thing bud until my system got velvet and killed over 1.5k worth of fish.... I lost 95% of the fish in less than a week and a half. I wish the best for you

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had 3, one unfortunately died after the ATO went dry overnight I'm guessing from the stress, the second had something causing some constipation/bloating.

First 2 no HLLE, 3rd has a tiny bit if you put your face up to the tank and stare at it around his eye and a racing stripe but has grown extremely fast and as is yellow big bird.

When I go to my lfs if they still have the yellow tangs I'll do a video and post to show the condition. And show my experiences with the captive bred yellow tangs

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said the same thing bud until my system got velvet and killed over 1.5k worth of fish.... I lost 95% of the fish in less than a week and a half. I wish the best for you
I can’t really QT over here, we have nothing that doesn’t include copper. I’ve heard all of the bad stories and still don’t do it. I cant stand risking the lives of my fish even more than I already do. I have several fish HIGHLY sensitive to copper, I take the risks of having them be happy and healthy and having that nice established reef tank environment to get them fat and healthy and not just a system where pods/micro fauna gets killed every day because of copper dosing.

Villareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish.jpg

Thats great I too have just added a YT in with a tomini tang 10 days ago and they're already best mates see pic below sorry its in blue but its from a video! My YT was captive bred and its in top condition no whitening and looks a really good weight.

t
tangs.jpg
e

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really QT over here, we have nothing that doesn’t include copper. I’ve heard all of the bad stories and still don’t do it. I cant stand risking the lives of my fish even more than I already do. I have several fish HIGHLY sensitive to copper, I take the risks of having them be happy and healthy and having that nice established reef tank environment to get them fat and healthy and not just a system where pods/micro fauna gets killed every day because of copper dosing.
Just curious with what you mean by "we have nothing that doesnt include copper"?

I do think people confuse QT with prophylactic treatment - I quarantine new addititons but dont use copper unless i see a direct need to and even then, theres still other ways to treat almost all issues without copper - Hyposalinity etc...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious with what you mean by "we have nothing that doesnt include copper"?

I do think people confuse QT with prophylactic treatment - I quarantine new addititons but dont use copper unless i see a direct need to and even then, theres still other ways to treat almost all issues without copper - Hyposalinity etc...
As in, every medication you find has copper, yes QT is good and all however would you rather QT a mandarin or chuck it into your reef? I’m pretty sure I’d rather put it into my reef so it has more of a chance of survival with the pod intake being MUCH higher in an established reef instead of a QT tank.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in, every medication you find has copper, yes QT is good and all however would you rather QT a mandarin or chuck it into your reef? I’m pretty sure I’d rather put it into my reef so it has more of a chance of survival with the pod intake being MUCH higher in an established reef instead of a QT tank.
I think this is where the likes of tank transfer and hyposalinity etc are so handy. Im not a big fan of copper myself, essentially using one poison to remove another posion, so to speak, but do see its place and usage.

Oh without a doubt the DT would be the better first place for a Dragonet - I am probably one of very few that has an established observation tank so am lucky in that respect.

But id still say putting a dragonet through a sterile quarantine tank, not medicated unless necessary, still has a place and its own benefits - Like offering a great place to teach them how to accept prepared foods if not already.

Plenty of catch 22 species out there though.

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were going to buy these and I probably will once my tank is established I would want to buy them direct. Seems like the LFS distribution chains can be hard on them and it's quite a bit of investment to set up a seperate system just for these fish.

I am excited to read this thread and learn that the coloration comes with age. The initial photos of these fish had me freaking out about getting them.

I remember going to petco and picking them up for $20. Those were the days. I just got back into the hobby after a 15 y

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back