Captive bred yellow tangs

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been soaking my frozen foods in the AB+ twice a week. Corals and fish get the benefits that way. I swear I read someplace that AB+ can be used as a food soak to help HLLE.
I remember reading about someone posting feeding AB+ soaked food to their Biota yellow tang(it was you Duude). So when I finally got one last month I started doing so right away to avoid fish getting HLLE. Thanks for the idea, my Biota YT is doing great with no signs of HLLE.

Aries360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning this is a great thread for me as I purchase a captive bread YT on Saturday, I paid £200 $270 their were 4 available and all varied in colour the palest having some whitening round its eyes. I went for the one with the most colour but I would definitely say they all looked like good quality healthy fish. They'd been at store for 4 weeks and were all eating well as the shop keeper fed them while I was there. I've added the fish to a tank with a Tomini tang in and fingers crossed up to now he's doing well, grazing and eating seaweed and even having some frozen shrimp.
How’s your yellow tang doing? Just curious on the coloring now? Thanks

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the idea/opinion that non-captive bred tangs are superior in some way is silly. Maybe just related to them being young and still coloring up.
For example, I see no difference between captive and non captive here
C2D31D91-85B2-4452-A765-AFA194390A1D.jpeg

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading about someone posting feeding AB+ soaked food to their Biota yellow tang(it was you Duude). So when I finally got one last month I started doing so right away to avoid fish getting HLLE. Thanks for the idea, my Biota YT is doing great with no signs of HLLE.
Now just over 4 months and my Biota YT is doing great and still no signs of HLLE.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the idea/opinion that non-captive bred tangs are superior in some way is silly. Maybe just related to them being young and still coloring up.

Nice display. And you are more than likely correct. Not that you are looking for votes.

Most hobbyist are used to seeing mature yellow tangs in the LFS or online prior to the ban. Hobbyist really didn't get to see young fish with an age anywhere from 8 to 12 months if that. They look different and it doesn't matter if it is a yellow tang or a multi bar.

I am a bit biased as I have several different fish from Biota but with that out of the way the two things or three maybe that stand out to me that make it worth it.

Know rough age of fish
Eating prepared food
Clean (if sourced directly from Biota)
Environmentally the right thing to do (if we wanted 4 reasons...)

Again nice display. Nice Linka. Thanks for showing the two side by side.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice display. And you are more than likely correct. Not that you are looking for votes.

Most hobbyist are used to seeing mature yellow tangs in the LFS or online prior to the ban. Hobbyist really didn't get to see young fish with an age anywhere from 8 to 12 months if that. They look different and it doesn't matter if it is a yellow tang or a multi bar.

I am a bit biased as I have several different fish from Biota but with that out of the way the two things or three maybe that stand out to me that make it worth it.

Know rough age of fish
Eating prepared food
Clean (if sourced directly from Biota)
Environmentally the right thing to do (if we wanted 4 reasons...)

Again nice display. Nice Linka. Thanks for showing the two side by side.
Not my display but a good example of a couple grown out a bit more side by side. I'm sure it does depend on other factors of course in the grand scheme of things

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my display but a good example of a couple grown out a bit more side by side. I'm sure it does depend on other factors of course in the grand scheme of things

Ah - my mistake. And yes, it does matter. Carbon choice along could raise questions among other things. If I didn't have a Scopas I would probably have a yellow. However he or she is sort of set in their ways and I don't want to disrupt the applecart.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dislike them, but then again I’ve seen some nicer tangs such as the white tail bristletooths in my time in the LFS.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great picture! May I have your permission to share this on our social media page? Also, which one is captive bred and which one is wild? I think it would be fun to ask our followers to guess which is which. - Felicia, social media manager

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great picture! May I have your permission to share this on our social media page? Also, which one is captive bred and which one is wild? I think it would be fun to ask our followers to guess which is which. - Felicia, social media manager
I’ve just Dm’ed you

ShroomVision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly If you have stable parameters and feed your tang well and nori they will heal, they’re transparent when they’re small but they will get their true coloration with a good diet and as they mature as well.
I got this captive bred yellow tang from petco and this is how he looked when I first got him on sale.
the second picture is him 4-5 weeks after with 2 feedings daily and soaking their food with selcom and vita chem on second meal and feeding nori every other day
From Petco?? Never heard of that

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true in my experience. My YT is captive bred and I got her from Dr. Reef. Was small and kind of transparent at first, but so are most juvenile fish with super thin bodies... I've had her almost a year and I actually see no difference when compared to wild caught.
20230515_184252.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Petco?? Never heard of that
The store? They are a chain store, some carry sw. Some only bery limited selection, while others a large selection with even rare or highend fish.

At 1 point they were at least part owners of one of the largest fish import companies in the U.S. I believe they no longer are though. They may be part of the holdings company that bought into brs though too.

About 5 years ago, when gem tangs were well over 1k a piece, I saw half a dozen in a tank at a petco.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 5 years ago, when gem tangs were well over 1k a piece, I saw half a dozen in a tank at a petco.

This is true. Few PetCo's across the US states sold them between $400 and $450. It was a great deal.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. Few PetCo's across the US states sold them between $400 and $450. It was a great deal.
Yes , I could not remember the price but it was well below the market price at the time. I've also seen fish mislabeled and sold way cheaper then they should be too at petco.

ShroomVision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store? They are a chain store, some carry sw. Some only bery limited selection, while others a large selection with even rare or highend fish.

At 1 point they were at least part owners of one of the largest fish import companies in the U.S. I believe they no longer are though. They may be part of the holdings company that bought into brs though too.

Yes I know they are a pet store just had never seen salt water tanks in one. I see they ship online.

Back