Caribbean Rose coral?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral hitchhiker started out as a glowing spec on my live rock about 2 months ago. From looking on the forums I believe it is a Caribbean rose coral. The crazy part is that I had the live rock for 9-10 months before it was ever a glowing spec. The rock was from the gulf and I also got some star corals, cup corals, some interesting anemones but nothing else this colorful.

I feed it like most of my corals and it eagerly takes the food. I thought I read somewhere that eventually it would break itself off the rock and live in the sand bed. Anyone else have any in tank experience with these?

Thanks, John

32352305-AB16-4AE8-825F-5F18D23A23D3.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture with just your whites on?

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took one. I have the tank under heavey blues/violets all day. Certainly takes the color out it lol

A9B9CD56-A7A8-45B7-B3DE-98CEC49D0131.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's really neat. I would keep feeding it pretty often and offer it a variety of things too. It looks really good compared to other Caribbean hitchikers I have seen :)

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got the Florida live rock hoping for some cool stuff and was pretty disappointed once 95% of what was on the rock died during cycling and curing. I had this really cool mushroom or anemone that lasted for a long time and then it just up and left it’s spot to never be seen again. I’ll have to see if I can dig a pic up of that as well.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my favorite. I always keep an eye out for it.

8228D214-AE9A-4452-8B41-696D27947E16.jpeg
Where did you buy the live rock from?

I'm in the process of setting up what will be a strictly Caribbean Coral tank. Main corals will be gorgonians, Miami vice zoanthids, ricordea, and paly grandis. It's actually gonna look really cool!

I'd love to find some forbidden Caribbean stoney corals in my live rock, even if they're ugly, haha.

Am considering buying some uncured rock from KP Aquatics.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock came from gulf live rock.com. It was their premium deco rock.

I also got 2 nice star corals, cup corals, a gorgonian that died during cycling, and some smaller coral polyps. Lots of sponges, tunicates(didn’t last), mussels, a cool mushroom coral that didn’t make it(my fault), oh and a mantis shrimp. Lots of other little critters as well.

The rose coral was by far the best looking. It didn’t pop up for a long time. I actually had to pop it off the rock and mount it on a plug because I had some zoas that were about to overgrow it.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New progress shot. It’s growing flesh pretty good right now, I’d like to see some skeleton grow though. I also noticed some more green color coming in.

361333F8-5176-4D65-A9BF-92B791714B90.jpeg

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to break this off a rock on the bottom of my tank and it’s been up on my frag rack. So maybe the lighting change is causing more green. I also started dosing Redsea colors trace elements so that is a possibility too.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral went from awesome to dull pretty fast. I had to move it to my frag rack so I am guessing more light has turned it green.

CBCF209A-0D7F-495C-B54B-DC6F5AC5A003.jpeg

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that happen to me before as well. I bought a favia frag recently, initially had a purple base with gold steaks. Now it's green, haha. I'm planning on epoxying it to a vertical rock surface in the near future so hopefully it regains its original coloration.

I'm still jealous of you're Rose corals. My Caribbean tank is now about six months old. Maybe time to consider buying some aquacultured Florida live rock and hoping for the best.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled upon it. I was amazed to find two Rose Corals on the Primo Deco Rock that came from the Gulf of Mexico (from LiveRockNReef.com). One piece was badly damaged on about 1/3 of it's skeleton but it survived and regenerated. It was recommended not to "cure" the rock but just put it right in the tank. That worried me, but I did it, and no problems. (Apparently, 1 day out of water isn't enough to cause a massive die-off). The rock was loaded with other cool animals, too, like: an urchin, lots of sponges, a nice gorgonian, feather dusters, macro algaes and spaghetti worms.
Lobophyllia, Gulf of Mexico 1 jpg.jpg

Lobophyllia, Gulf of Mexico jpg.jpg

Photos are about 3 mo old. Both have grown and look healthy, but they lost the red color and are uniformly green. (Under G5XR15's)

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just came across this thread as it appears I got one of these guys on my Gulf live rock. It didn't show up till over a month after I got the rock in QT. I plucked it off, put it on a plug and dropped it in my DT.

I'm hoping it holds the color. What do you spot feed it, reef roids?

20210317_094338.jpg

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread as it appears I got one of these guys on my Gulf live rock. It didn't show up till over a month after I got the rock in QT. I plucked it off, put it on a plug and dropped it in my DT. I'm hoping it holds the color. What do you spot feed it, reef roids?
20210317_094338.jpg

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled upon it. I was amazed to find two Rose Corals on the Primo Deco Rock that came from the Gulf of Mexico (from LiveRockNReef.com). One piece was badly damaged on about 1/3 of it's skeleton but it survived and regenerated. It was recommended not to "cure" the rock but just put it right in the tank. That worried me, but I did it, and no problems. (Apparently, 1 day out of water isn't enough to cause a massive die-off). The rock was loaded with other cool animals, too, like: an urchin, lots of sponges, a nice gorgonian, feather dusters, macro algaes and spaghetti worms.
Lobophyllia, Gulf of Mexico 1 jpg.jpg

Lobophyllia, Gulf of Mexico jpg.jpg

Photos are about 3 mo old. Both have grown and look healthy, but they lost the red color and are uniformly green. (Under G5XR15's)
20220302_070509.jpg
20220212_173715.jpg
I've got some too!. I've been scared to remove it from the rock.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back