Caribbean Rose coral?

Discussion in 'General LPS Discussion' started by John3, Jan 5, 2018.

1. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

This coral hitchhiker started out as a glowing spec on my live rock about 2 months ago. From looking on the forums I believe it is a Caribbean rose coral. The crazy part is that I had the live rock for 9-10 months before it was ever a glowing spec. The rock was from the gulf and I also got some star corals, cup corals, some interesting anemones but nothing else this colorful.

I feed it like most of my corals and it eagerly takes the food. I thought I read somewhere that eventually it would break itself off the rock and live in the sand bed. Anyone else have any in tank experience with these?

Thanks, John

32352305-AB16-4AE8-825F-5F18D23A23D3.jpeg

Myk likes this.
    Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Do you have a picture with just your whites on?

sfin52 likes this.
  3. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Just took one. I have the tank under heavey blues/violets all day. Certainly takes the color out it lol

A9B9CD56-A7A8-45B7-B3DE-98CEC49D0131.jpeg

4. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Wow, that's really neat. I would keep feeding it pretty often and offer it a variety of things too. It looks really good compared to other Caribbean hitchikers I have seen :)

Zack K likes this.
  5. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Yeah I got the Florida live rock hoping for some cool stuff and was pretty disappointed once 95% of what was on the rock died during cycling and curing. I had this really cool mushroom or anemone that lasted for a long time and then it just up and left it’s spot to never be seen again. I’ll have to see if I can dig a pic up of that as well.

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  6. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

This was my favorite. I always keep an eye out for it.

8228D214-AE9A-4452-8B41-696D27947E16.jpeg

Zack K and nautical_nathaniel like this.
  7. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Cool hitch hikers!!

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  8. TexasReefer82

TexasReefer82 Member

Where did you buy the live rock from?

I'm in the process of setting up what will be a strictly Caribbean Coral tank. Main corals will be gorgonians, Miami vice zoanthids, ricordea, and paly grandis. It's actually gonna look really cool!

I'd love to find some forbidden Caribbean stoney corals in my live rock, even if they're ugly, haha.

Am considering buying some uncured rock from KP Aquatics.

9. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

The rock came from gulf live rock.com. It was their premium deco rock.

I also got 2 nice star corals, cup corals, a gorgonian that died during cycling, and some smaller coral polyps. Lots of sponges, tunicates(didn’t last), mussels, a cool mushroom coral that didn’t make it(my fault), oh and a mantis shrimp. Lots of other little critters as well.

The rose coral was by far the best looking. It didn’t pop up for a long time. I actually had to pop it off the rock and mount it on a plug because I had some zoas that were about to overgrow it.

TexasReefer82 likes this.
  10. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

Updated pic of rose coral. Still doing good after I popped it off the main rock.

64FFEC83-5F64-41CD-9C8D-F1FA66A1C9D2.jpeg

Shad Quill and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  11. TexasReefer82

TexasReefer82 Member

That rose coral looks fantastic!

12. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

New progress shot. It’s growing flesh pretty good right now, I’d like to see some skeleton grow though. I also noticed some more green color coming in.

361333F8-5176-4D65-A9BF-92B791714B90.jpeg

13. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

I had to break this off a rock on the bottom of my tank and it’s been up on my frag rack. So maybe the lighting change is causing more green. I also started dosing Redsea colors trace elements so that is a possibility too.

14. John3

John3 Well-Known Member

This coral went from awesome to dull pretty fast. I had to move it to my frag rack so I am guessing more light has turned it green.

CBCF209A-0D7F-495C-B54B-DC6F5AC5A003.jpeg

reef lover likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted