Caribbean sailfin blenny care

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS got these in and I’m wondering if one could do well in my 10 gallon mixed reef. Are they basically like barnacle blennies? I’m not finding much about them online

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 10 will be fairly small for a sailfin blenny, for a couple reasons. 1) size wise it's a little cramped 2) their diet is composed almost entirely of algae that grows in your tank, however you can supplement it with something like spirulina. These guys are peaceful and get along with most other fish just not of the same species. And I have heard they nip at corals

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that makes a big difference lol. I see what you mean about there being limited information. Out of the 4 saltwater fish books I have only one mentions it and its fairly brief. Essentially it is an omnivore so i imagine it will take to pellets, and the recommend tank size is 15 gallons. You should also have a tight lid as these guys are jumpers. I do have some conflicting info as i did some research online and found this "The sailfin blenny is a carnivore, feeding on small invertebrates and plankton. These items include copepods, amphipods, isopods, decapods, stomatopods, mysids, and crabs."

Sorry I couldnt help more, there is some conflicting info on diet so I'd ask your lfs what they feed it just to be safe

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! yes I figured that may have been what happened. If I do get one I'll be sure to post here so people can learn more about them. eat breakfast said they were essentially like barnacle blennies when I asked this question in the beginner fish question thread

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eatbreakfast is right as usual. I've kept a few of these and they are very similar to barnacle blennies. They need somewhere they can hide and are happy in a hole in the rockwork or empty barnacles if you can find them.
Males have the large sailfin and females are interesting if less impressive.
They can eat largish food items. I saw one at the wholesaler with a cleaner goby sticking out of its mouth and mine have taken good size krill, mysis or anything meaty.
They will defend their territory but aren't aggressive.

Cool little fish all in all.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found another one of my books. Has a page dedicated to them. Hooe it helps if you just need a little more info on them
20181208_191350.jpg

CWMorrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six in a twenty gallon long, and one in a community 90. The above description is accurate. I feed mostly frozen adult brine shrimp, occasionally live adult brine shrimp. They particularly like to sit in barnacles.

CWMorrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six in a twenty gallon long, and one in a community 90. The above description is accurate. I feed mostly frozen adult brine shrimp, occasionally live adult brine shrimp. They particularly like to sit in barnacles.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back