SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you held the water in an empty trash can, a common reef brute can

they rinsed above without a problem
I don't have nearly enough storage for the amount of water.
Nor would it actually solve the problem of the water itself have the dust particles in it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this current way isn’t working but this other way will, for sure. Basic flocculation will handle small particles now that sourcing w be removed and carbon filtration would easily clear it too.

this issue you have isn’t new we have been fixing this for fifty pages in the sand rinse thread. We did it this way thirty times before

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could creatively pour or pump the water back in through a micron filter, or over simple pre rinsed carbon (must pre rinse carbon) and strain the suspended grains out too as tank re fills. That’s why we want the aquarium glass cleaned, so particulates won’t ride back

Im sorry our peers recommend starting tanks this way, meaning every poster on every reef forum lol. We will coach it out of them in due time. Everyone in reefing agrees no pre rinse is best…sometimes the group is completely wrong.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t a $20 empty plastic trash can bought from a home improvement store work? My brute from Home Depot held fifty gallons

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll store 150 litres of water?

The 25 litre bucket I have was £12.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch then, best I can do is post hammer anyone in the future who blanket recommends no prep rinsing, and snarkily chide them for not posting here to help us with ideas though I just linked this thread directly to them four minutes ago.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could try shoveling the sand into a bucket using the 50 micron sock to wash it?
Still leaves the water problem though.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I wouldn’t it’ll just leave mass clouding. Gotta be surgical cleaned out to the glass run, separation from tank rinsing, maybe someone reading will have some filtration ideas we can use

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently in process of googling liters to gallons

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the result:
5CE060B9-B2CE-4708-9ABE-8D94C9F02235.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on level of hesitation and me ditching math class to play pool I figured we were just shy of a hundred gallons, or two brutes. He may directly mean however there are no Home Depots near him. Must find a way to hold forty gallons for two hours

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on level of hesitation and me ditching math class to play pool I figured we were just shy of a hundred gallons, or two brutes. He may directly mean however there are no Home Depots near him. Must find a way to hold forty gallons for two hours
He can also buy 8 of those 5 gallon tubs…

In my honest opinion. I think the best solution is to buy a HOB filter and stuff it with filter floss.

Regardless of what OP does, his tank will end up being clear. The sand rinsing method is just quicker.

Last edited:

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure that's not a bacteria bloom instead? I just started cycling a 50g a handful of days ago, and the first day or so, it was cloudy from the sand, but the last 2-3 days it's been hazy due to the bacteria from the sand + bottle (Dr. Tims / MB7).

In my experience, bacteria blooms from an initial cycle cleared up within 3 days or so after the bloom started.

Honestly, I think you should just get a hob filter with some filter floss/pad and just wait it out- since you'll kinda need one anyway, right? I don't think I saw a filter on your tank. I guess you don't really need one, but you know.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure that's not a bacteria bloom instead? I just started cycling a 50g a handful of days ago, and the first day or so, it was cloudy from the sand, but the last 2-3 days it's been hazy due to the bacteria from the sand + bottle (Dr. Tims / MB7).

In my experience, bacteria blooms from an initial cycle cleared up within 3 days or so after the bloom started.

Honestly, I think you should just get a hob filter with some filter floss/pad and just wait it out- since you'll kinda need one anyway, right? I don't think I saw a filter on your tank. I guess you don't really need one, but you know.
I just added my Turbostart 900 + a teaspoon of Dr. tims ammonia this minute.

It is absolutely the sand and a HOB filter + filter floss is something I'm considering atm.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you can, get the Aquaclear 70 hob filter. I have one in a QT and I love it. It’s holds the filter pad and a small heater. It still plenty of room for a bag or carbon and other media. I’ve seen people customize it to make a mini fuge in there too.

A lot of people on the reviews for that sand on BRS are mentioned how cloudy that sand is. But in your picture it really does look like a bacteria bloom. Maybe all the dead organics from the sand kicked it off before you out Turbostart in it.

I filled up my new tank Monday night, and this is what it looked like Wednesday:

I can’t tell if the video is being shown but here is a screenshot of it:

4D29F3C6-F032-4037-B481-EA44CAEF7775.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason yours cleared is because it had less silt than his did.

we pre rinse all incoming sand to avoid the differences. His tank started opaque, and never went clear just like these ones who for sure didn’t have a bacteria bloom

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/so-i-didnt-rinse.592624/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sandbed-stirred-up.544852/#post-5723606

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/very-cloudy-water-after-sand-and-rock.559386/#post-5735864
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/question-about-vacuuming-sand-bed.616059/ https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-tank-milky-cloudy.616519/
Ocean direct live sand from CaribSea
Has anyone used ocean direct sand and what are your thoughts? I used it in my nano and noticed that any sand movement clouds the area pretty quickly. Any fixes for this or is it just part of having this sand
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

10 days, still won't settle and clouds fully
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cloudy-tank.576835/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bummer-could-use-some-help.558301/

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back