Carolina Fish House 1000 gallon build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwilson84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anyone actually in Fuquay that is a reefer. I know a couple folks out in Holly Springs, I know a Dan that lives in Sunset Ridge.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool build, really digging the lagoon tank!

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anyone actually in Fuquay that is a reefer. I know a couple folks out in Holly Springs, I know a Dan that lives in Sunset Ridge.

Hah, okay cool. It was a long shot. Meet a guy named Don that said he had a good friend that was a reefer that lives in Fuquay. I'm in Sunset Bluffs.

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock has arrived! 150 lbs should give a nice minimalist scape for the display.

deaa987e48c92916e0490d4160aa5be5.jpg

8e2c2faa2463b6ef05747cc279160713.jpg

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks like my black egg crate isn't showing up :(. Dang you FedEx. Dang you! Don't they know I have a queen angel that is seeing acans for the first time?!?! The frag tank must be setup ;)

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you order that rock from??

It's all Tukani rock. This batch was from one of my wholesalers. You can order it online or just about any LFS should be able to order it for you if interested. However, it's not really "live" but it costs about the same as dry rock and it's all colored up already. I've been able to add it to established tanks in the past and not worry about a giant ammonia bloom.

Jamesholt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all Tukani rock. This batch was from one of my wholesalers. You can order it online or just about any LFS should be able to order it for you if interested. However, it's not really "live" but it costs about the same as dry rock and it's all colored up already. I've been able to add it to established tanks in the past and not worry about a giant ammonia bloom.

So it was live and they wrapped it in wet newspaper and shipped it?? I have rock shipped like that before, it does cut down on the cycle alot..

JVS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing like a beautiful large angel fish. Gorgeous

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing like a beautiful large angel fish. Gorgeous

You are 100% right. They are like living / moving rainbows of color. I'm actually thinking about going full FOWLR (maybe for just some time) and getting some of those fish that you can never have in a reef tank. I would be one happy dude if I can get my hands on a healthy adult imperator.

Jamesholt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to do a lookdown/pond so my grouper and Niger Trigger can stretch out,, how big are those 300 gallon ones in diameter???

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to do a lookdown/pond so my grouper and Niger Trigger can stretch out,, how big are those 300 gallon ones in diameter???

They are 69x64x25

There are a lot of options out there for other tanks but I went with these because you can find them local and they fit through a standard size door. I wanted to do a 1000 gallon tank instead of all these but the cost of much higher due to the freight charges. I got one of the 300 on sale for $198, one for $249 and the small 150 gallon for $150. Hard to beat the volume for $600 total in costs. The other big tanks that would need to be freighted in were around $2000-$2500 landed and need a frame built to support the side walls.

Jamesholt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are 69x64x25

There are a lot of options out there for other tanks but I went with these because you can find them local and they fit through a standard size door.
Thats the trouble I am having,, the one I want (9ft circle)will not go through the door without folding some, dont know if that will weaken it or not..

OP
OP
VelasCorals

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the trouble I am having,, the one I want (9ft circle)will not go through the door without folding some, dont know if that will weaken it or not..

I was look at one of those also but no way I could get it in the room. I have 12' ceilings but the door would need to come out and didn't feel like dealing with all that. The circle tanks were appealing because I don't think they required any additional bracing.

This is the one I was going to go with - https://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold-920-gallon-round-stock-tank-arm-10135.html

You could put some huge fish in there for sure! Would be so awesome see look downs, large naso tangs, angels, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back