OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I actually went with a fighting conch and it did pretty good for awhile. It was rather slow and definitely didn’t keep my sand clean like the diamond goby did. My tank is topless right now and I’d like it to stay that way. I’d like to try another sand sifter and don’t know what way to go.
my current stock list is:
Lawnmower bleny
Percula clown
Royal gramma
Yellow corris
A couple emerald crabs and snails

A few options I’m looking at:
Court jester
Twin spot
a Larger diamond goby
Sleeper goby
dragon goby
Smaller goat fish (I know my tank is a bit small)

I’m open to options!
Not interested in a star, or cucumber (scared of nuking the tank).

I fully understand the risks of having a topless thank. I’m just not a fan of the screen being in the way whenever I’m trying to work in the tank or trying to feed.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to say it. There are non nuking cucumbers. I got mine off of pacific east aquaculture. He's great and I'd fully recommend one. He survived my tank crash too (and no he did not cause it)

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind did you get?
listing for a variety of them. All safe, I got a yellow one, can't remember the species.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
listing for a variety of them. All safe, I got a yellow one, can't remember the species.
They had some at the store. The guys working said they didn’t do much sand sifting. The sand had quite a bit of detritus on it... I picked up a pair of good sized nassarius to get the area behind my rocks. I got a larger diamond goby too. Figured I could leave the screen top on the tank while it’s getting established.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got yourself a notorious jumper for a tank you dont want a lid on.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Gobys do well in deeper tanks that are 30” or deeper. It’s amazing that they can find their way out of a tank with a mesh lid. I have currently have one and have been leaving my lids off without any issues. My tank is 30” deep.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond Gobys do well in deeper tanks that are 30” or deeper. It’s amazing that they can find their way out of a tank with a mesh lid. I have currently have one and have been leaving my lids off without any issues. My tank is 30” deep.

In my experience with a few so called jumpers; the fish jump because they don't like the water or the fellow inhabitants. Fix those two things and you are good to go.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I have one in my waterbox 130 that is topless. 1 year and he’s still doing well. I made a temporary solid acrylic lid that covers the entire tank while he is getting used to the tank. After a week or so I will probably switch over to my screen top.
You got yourself a notorious jumper for a tank you dont want a lid on.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with a few so called jumpers; the fish jump because they don't like the water or the fellow inhabitants. Fix those two things and you are good to go.
I think it was the sally light foot crab that was scaring them out. I caught it when it was eating some left over mysis off the sand and put him into another system’s sump. When I introduced this diamond goby he got hit a few times by my clownfish and lMB. I cut the lights off and he eventually dug himself a little cave. I’m yet to see it today but I have seen sand get thrown out of the cave a couple times. The other fish aren’t going near the cave so we will see. They pushed my wrasse around for the first day too but all is well now.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had m AIO I had my Diamond Goby get in a slit probably 1/8 of an inch, between my overflow and the top...Literally I found him in the back a week later....alive...chilling in the pump chamber lol. I still have him to this day.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back