Catching a 6 line !!

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and about the same amount of corals…did it hurt your corals being exposed like that for that long ?
No. Not at all. Like I said I couldn't get the Flameback out of the rock. I started pouring pitchers of water on the coral and that's when he finally came out. Coral can go quite a while out of water. A friend of mine at the zoo drains 1/3rd of the water in their coral tank and a lot of it is exposed for a while.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to catch mine with an acrylic fish trap. It took a few days before it would go in. My trap was a lot larger since I was trying to catch a Purple Tang originally. I had given up on catching it before as it was really aggressive to smaller fish. It's in my 300 with big fish now so everything is good. Good luck. This is what I used just in case.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen some use fishing hook tied to piece of line and food on hook and just hook it out.
If not willing to move rocks/corals etc then need patience and just try when you can but if starts hiding in rocks step back a little and let him relax a little.
Good luck with catching
@hans4811 you may want to get ahold of @Paul B . He uses a hook successfully. Definitely have to file off the barb that goes back in the other direction or you’ll tear up your fish’s mouth trying to get the hook off.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to catch mine with an acrylic fish trap. It took a few days before it would go in. My trap was a lot larger since I was trying to catch a Purple Tang originally. I had given up on catching it before as it was really aggressive to smaller fish. It's in my 300 with big fish now so everything is good. Good luck. This is what I used just in case.

THAT'S what I'm worried about...having to sit in front of that tank for 3 days, waiting to catch the demon spawn !!

Wish they had an accurate mini-spear gun !! Sooo much easier...did I say that out loud !? ;)

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hans4811 you may want to get ahold of @Paul B . He uses a hook successfully. Definitely have to file off the barb that goes back in the other direction or you’ll tear up your fish’s mouth trying to get the hook off.
The only problem I see with that, is that the fish runs as soon as I get near the tank ! He fears me now with all the scolding he's been getting lately ! Read..poking finger at tank as he tries to kill my other fish....should have overnighted this fish trap !

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is the key. I've used both the bottle and a fish trap. It took a couple days for the bottle to get a Tang using pellets. That fish actually got so he would go in and out of it when I came near the tank. I put about a 10' line on the bottle so I could stay back.
Using the fish trap took over a week. Fortunately my tank is in my office and I work from home so I'm in front of my tank several hours a day. I set up the trap and kept the trap door line on my desk. When the fish finally went in I bagged him. Used Mysis on the fish I was trying to get. Try putting a long line on the trap so you can sit further away and not spook it.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to extend my trap line so I could be in my recliner. I'd just sit in front during feeding sessions. I gave up after 20-30min. You might have to catch a greedy fish if they keep eating the bait.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate a few of my pearlberry acro's polyp's, then died a couple days later. Its a pretty coral with different colored polyp's, but seriously, I had to triple watch he wasnt eating bugs. Now he's gone, and I can clearly see missing polyp's. Weird experience. Was the only acro he touched the polyp's on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Super easy catch for me but with brine shrimp and a fish trap

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super easy catch for me but with brine shrimp and a fish trap
Super easy on a 6 line ? what type of trap ? i keep live white worms…hope that’ll do. He goes after them pretty aggressively when I feed the tank in the evening.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is the key. I've used both the bottle and a fish trap. It took a couple days for the bottle to get a Tang using pellets. That fish actually got so he would go in and out of it when I came near the tank. I put about a 10' line on the bottle so I could stay back.
Using the fish trap took over a week. Fortunately my tank is in my office and I work from home so I'm in front of my tank several hours a day. I set up the trap and kept the trap door line on my desk. When the fish finally went in I bagged him. Used Mysis on the fish I was trying to get. Try putting a long line on the trap so you can sit further away and not spook it.
That’s what I need to figure out…some timeline as I can’t sit there for 8 hours a day. I do work from home, so that’ll make it a little easier, but still…

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate a few of my pearlberry acro's polyp's, then died a couple days later. Its a pretty coral with different colored polyp's, but seriously, I had to triple watch he wasnt eating bugs. Now he's gone, and I can clearly see missing polyp's. Weird experience. Was the only acro he touched the polyp's on.
Maybe that’s the key…buy a pearlberry acro ! choke on it ya little bast**&#…hehe

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Try putting a long line on the trap so you can sit further away and not spook it.
Yup…bought the extension tube for the trap I bought as I plan to do just that. Keep my distance sitting on my couch so I don’t spook em..

stewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me having patience using the traps is better than tearing your tank apart. In my previous 120g I had to take out all of the rock, fish, drain the water to sand level and still couldn’t catch him. After scooping the sand out little by little I finally got him and gave him away for free. That fish is a trip for sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Super easy on a 6 line ? what type of trap ? i keep live white worms…hope that’ll do. He goes after them pretty aggressively when I feed the tank in the evening.
trap2.jpg
trap3.jpg

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me having patience using the traps is better than tearing your tank apart. In my previous 120g I had to take out all of the rock, fish, drain the water to sand level and still couldn’t catch him. After scooping the sand out little by little I finally got him and gave him away for free. That fish is a trip for sure.
Wow ! That’s what I’m afraid of happening. I have a lot of hiding spaces, tunnels in my rockwork. Def gonna give the trap my full on effort !

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back