CB Maleficent coloring up

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been growing out this Maleficent frag for 6 months, and it’s the brightest red acro I’ve ever seen!

Anyone have a colony grown out?

E03E400B-E3E9-4509-9BBD-B950A59ED121.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I took more pictures of it since I lost it. It is by far the reddest acro I've kept so far. I basically bought a polyp at RAP, questioned it and after about a year it was absolutely stunning. This was about 3 years in before I transferred tanks.
CB Mal.jpg

and a macro shot from around the same time.
CB Mal-2.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I took more pictures of it since I lost it. It is by far the reddest acro I've kept so far. I basically bought a polyp at RAP, questioned it and after about a year it was absolutely stunning. This was about 3 years in before I transferred tanks.
CB Mal.jpg

and a macro shot from around the same time.
CB Mal-2.jpg
That’s beautiful, is it redder than a red planet? So far the brightest red acro I’ve ever seen was an aged colony of Red Planet.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda struggle with this one. Picked one up from DivingTheWorld months ago and almost lost it. It didn't do much for a while but is now starting to color up. I think its gonna be awhile before I really start to see it take off

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s beautiful, is it redder than a red planet? So far the brightest red acro I’ve ever seen was an aged colony of Red Planet.
CB Mal was very red for me, some pinks in there. It's been a long time since I kept Red Planet so it's hard for me to give a good opinion on that.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say mine took well over a year to settle in and start to grow but then grew very fast once multibranched. It's one of those pieces that needs to get some surface area before it really starts to do anything in my experience with it.
Here it is after it finally started to encrust and color sometime in 2019.

DSC_0274.jpg

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about par? Do they like getting blasted as I have mine in around 400par and thinking of moving it’s rock a little closer in for some others that I have that like high par.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this CB Maleficent from a local reefer 6 months ago. It was browned out but has regained colors and starting to branch out.
Moved to this spot about 2 months ago, about 425 PAR with very high flows.
It is more pinkish than red.

Attachments

• 20221204_090533.jpg
    20221204_090533.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221204_090449.jpg
    20221204_090449.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 36

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing this is acropora anthocercis, some of the wild colonies showing green, pink and red are absolutely beautiful. I have always thought the nicest red acropora always have a nice contrast somewhere in the coral, normally it’s green and pink. Red planet was one that people had very good contrast with greens early on but after it got old it just turned all red. The growth form of the maleficent acro I like much more than the red planet. I would love to see some more pictures.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24520678-6EDC-405D-8798-633ABCA8C72D.jpeg

This is My CB Malificent. It took a while to get going but once it did it grew fast. Unfortunately I put it too close to other coral and it grew a trunk at the base and now I can’t move it .
What par do you have that in? Seems that lower par brings out more orange colors?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing this is acropora anthocercis, some of the wild colonies showing green, pink and red are absolutely beautiful. I have always thought the nicest red acropora always have a nice contrast somewhere in the coral, normally it’s green and pink. Red planet was one that people had very good contrast with greens early on but after it got old it just turned all red. The growth form of the maleficent acro I like much more than the red planet. I would love to see some more pictures.
I thought the same but no incipient axials makes me wonder.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same but no incipient axials makes me wonder.

Yea Hugo’s colony (cb lineage) is certainly different than what I am referring too and now I see the original post is the same lineage. Smite and gatorbaits pics are closest to what I was mentioning.
Some of the pictures looks almost like acropora clathrata, especially Hugo’s, but I feel like In time they will all start to resemble anthocercis. I believe the Tierra deal fuego was the first time this type of acropora came on peoples radar.

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What par do you have that in? Seems that lower par brings out more orange colors?
That one is at about 300 par. I haven’t moved it around much to see if colors change in different par , but I’ll put some frags in my frag tank at both high and low par and see what happens.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back