Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a good laugh out of this....

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 2.02.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 2.00.49 AM.png

(in case you didn't realize, this reading is way wrong lol) It did scare me at first though!

292d6b55a99d38668282d65f768b667c.jpg

Bigboned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more pics as I get the containers wired up. I used cable glands to get the sensor and pump cables out.

IMG_2811.jpg

Here is my assembly to split off the RODI and control where it goes.

IMG_2812.jpg

You missed a step- what is a ‘jawhorse’?!

Impeccable detail, keep the pics coming, looking proper smart

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed a step- what is a ‘jawhorse’?!

Impeccable detail, keep the pics coming, looking proper smart

It is this really cool portable vice for large items. A standard plywood sheet in the US is 4' x 8' (not sure what it is in Europe) but it holds large items with ease for bigger cuts. It is like having the hulk as an extra set of hands when building. It also folds up really small which is nice.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/jawho...QHCrBVksUKDdaYlJeQDiKYHiJ3Kwi_QBoC91EQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am getting the outdoor 'shack' that houses my water and NEMA enclosure built. Here are some progress pictures so you get an idea of what is going on.

I had to remember back to high school to basic geometry and trapezoids to get my sloped roof angle haha!!

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enclosure is done, now I just need to begin painting the enclosure and install the roof.

IMG_2819.jpg

I was proud of myself-I knocked out the whole build in 2 hours off of a design in my head. I also did my home depot shopping only by estimating the materials, and I got the exact right amount! So much home renovation has given me home depot spider-senses!

Jul_07_2017_12_42_48.gif

Bigboned

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just checked on my fish in QT, and the coral beauty I have been worried about definitely has marine velvet.

IMG_2820.jpg

I originally hoping for ich, but his face looks dusty, you can't really see if from the picture. I am preparing a freshwater dip now and will follow with a chemical bath if I have the proper materials. This combined with the flashing and lethargic behavior led to my conclusion.

EDIT- Finally got my copper tested, looks like I have been below therapeutic levels :( Raising that now and resetting clock for QT :/

EDIT #2-Bangaii Cardinal also showing signs of velvet. It is hard to tell with their coloration, but I can see it on his fins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exterior 'Shed' is painted and roughly in place. Tomorrow I will screw the roof pieces that you see on and populate it with the reservoirs and NEMA enclosure. I will be doing a little bit of shimming as well since something is out of square (I believe it is my porch for drainage).

Shout out to my wife for helping me paint the thing! There was so much detail painting it took us forever to get 2 coats on it.

IMG_2826.jpg

I still need to finish running PVC as soon as the house colored paint dries on it. In theory I should be getting the reservoirs filled tomorrow.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Beauty Angel died in Formalin/Methylene Blue bath. The velvet moved very rapidly and I simply was unable to get the proper medicine in time.

I am holding off on any bath for the cardinal and hoping the copper (now at therapeutic levels) will be enough.

All of my inverts in a secondary QT died as well.

This has been a pretty tough day. That being said, the water storage outback is filling up. I still need to finish the PVC that runs to the 'shed' and mount the NEMA enclosure. The roof is just sitting on top right now, I will screw that in place once I get everything fully built.

The reservoirs are filling up and soon we will be rocking and rolling.

IMG_2828.jpg

I also got my power connector finalized. I drilled and threaded holes for the screws, then added a ton of sealant and screwed it in.

This is what it should look like as you get it cranked down.

IMG_2829.jpg

Once all the way in, remove excess sealant.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some more exterior labeling and cleaning to do before we are 100%. BUT! Tonight I got the majority of the connections hooked up and the enclosure is outside. I went on APEX Fusion and everything is talking!!!

First, here is how I labeled the exterior of my NEMA enclosure.

IMG_2835.jpg
IMG_2836.jpg
IMG_2837.jpg

Next I finished my PVC that carries all of my lines. It is the PVC that is painted the color of my exterior.

IMG_2838.jpg

Finally, here is the NEMA enclosure in the final location! I will finish roof and connections tomorrow.

IMG_2839.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg

Until tomorrow, here is where we are at!!

EDIT- I loosely based this build off of a build by April Wilkerson. She is an incredible DIY Youtuber and you should check her out if interested! She is extremely talented and just decided to start making things one day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost your Coral beauty and your inverts. This hobby can be emotionally devastating at times.
Yeah, it is tough when they have names, you see them daily, and you know they rely on you to live.....

It is hard not to feel responsible even when I guarantee I am trying my best here.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it is tough when they have names, you see them daily, and you know they rely on you to live.....

It is hard not to feel responsible even when I guarantee I am trying my best here.

Marine fish are extremely hard to keep, mix in a very deadly disease like velvet and even the most experienced of aquarists won’t be able to save them all, even when they realize it early. You’re doing a good job of learning from your mistakes and implementing solid proceedures to prevent having similar future problems. I won’t lie, I’m more a fan of corals than fish because of past experiences similar to yours.

I’ve been getting my QT ready to bring in some new fish to add to my display, it’s been at least a year and half since I’ve added any and I could use some more bioload. It makes me nervous, and I am not excited about it.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine fish are extremely hard to keep, mix in a very deadly disease like velvet and even the most experienced of aquarists won’t be able to save them all, even when the realize it early. You’re doing a good job of learning from your mistakes and implementing solid proceedures to prevent having similar future problems. I won’t lie, I’m more a fan of corals than fish because of past experiences similar to yours.

I’ve been getting my QT ready to bring in some new fish to add to my display, it’s been at least a year and half since I’ve added any and I could use some more bioload. It makes me nervous, and I am not excited about it.
I am actually about to start a second build thread for a full time QT I want to start. Most QT tanks are purely functional, however, I do not have the luxury of having a fish room or having a part of my home that I will allow myself to look bad since we have a small home. (We went with a smaller home that we could afford to make awesome). I have a design in my head of a QT that will look great and be functional.

Getting new livestock stresses me out. I just emailed @Humblefish to hopefully buy through him and have him QT for me. That would make me feel a lot better!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine fish are extremely hard to keep, mix in a very deadly disease like velvet and even the most experienced of aquarists won’t be able to save them all, even when they realize it early. You’re doing a good job of learning from your mistakes and implementing solid proceedures to prevent having similar future problems. I won’t lie, I’m more a fan of corals than fish because of past experiences similar to yours.

It makes me feel a lot better knowing that even experienced reefers like yourself deal with the same stress I am! It makes this whole process feel more normal. If my DT could ever look half as good as yours I would feel pretty good about myself!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and FWIW I gave up on my conductivity probe long ago on my Apex, I know other folks have gotten it to be somewhat reliable but mine was always off no matter how many times I calibrated it.

It makes me feel a lot better knowing that even experienced reefers like yourself deal with the same stress I am! It makes this whole process feel more normal. If my DT could ever look half as good as yours I would feel pretty good about myself!

You probably thought this was a “relaxing” hobby? :D

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and FWIW I gave up on my conductivity probe long ago on my Apex, I know other folks have gotten it to be somewhat reliable but mine was always off no matter how many times I calibrated it.

You probably thought this was a “relaxing” hobby? :D
Yeah, I am still waiting on the relaxation! Please tell me it happens at some point because that is the whole reason I started lol.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am still waiting on the relaxation! Please tell me it happens at some point because that is the whole reason I started lol.

At a certain point you will be able to kick your feet up and enjoy it, just maybe not right now. Part of this “reef keeping experience” is learning to appreciate the moments of tranquility and wonder when you have them, sometimes they are fleeting and other times they are plentiful. In the beginning a new tank is very stressful and not much fun. Once it settles down and becomes a more stable ecosystem the stress lessens and it gets exciting. Once you and the tank get a rhythm going and it’s working for both of you, there’s a zen element of living in the moment with it and the seemingly stressful things in the past will all be worth it. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back