Centerline's RedSea Reefer 525 XL +25 +25 Build

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build/idea. I really like these multi-displays if I can call it that, I think it just adds a whole new dimension to the tank. And gives even more flexibility/freedom of ideas for the tank! Amazing job on plumbing, do you have any updates? Following along

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update.
MVIMG_20180907_003425.jpg

IMG_20180918_212359.jpg
MVIMG_20180918_212535.jpg

Full cycle and plenty coralline growth. Couple more tweaks (cleaning up wiring mostly) this week and Ill start loading it up with corals ;)

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking sweet! Looks nice and clean. Cant wait to see what it turns in to.
Me neither man. No idea what I'm going to do with that bare bottom - suggestions are welcome. Need to pull some of that gulf rock out as well... put it in there to cycle with and I think it distracts from the rocks work.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither man. No idea what I'm going to do with that bare bottom - suggestions are welcome. Need to pull some of that gulf rock out as well... put it in there to cycle with and I think it distracts from the rocks work.

I like keeping the barebottom and letting some encrusting corals take over that area!

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like keeping the barebottom and letting some encrusting corals take over that area!
Ya Man, that what I was thinking but the question is what should I put down there? Lots of options. May stop by @WWC over the weekend to get some ideas.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya Man, that what I was thinking but the question is what should I put down there? Lots of options. May stop by @WWC over the weekend to get some ideas.

For sure! WWC's display tanks have some good looking corals doing just that. I always try to stop by when i'm driving through orlando.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to show you guys a simple way to build a skimmer stand that doesn't trap detritus, effect the flow in your sump, take up too much room, lacks isolators for vibration and costs $50 or more. The skimmer I'm running is a Vertex Omega 180i and by all accounts its very picky about water level for optimal performance. Looking at the BRS recommendation of 8" and reading a few articles that state 9" I decided to split the difference at 8.5". I prefer so hear as little noise as possible out of my tanks to I also planned for vibration isolators. After thinking about it a bit I came up with the following.

The riser starts off with a PVC fitting called a "Table cap". They run about $3.00 each unless you buy a bag of 10 and then you can expect to pay $1.70 - $2.50 each. I needed 4 of these.
208312-tablecap-1--and-1_1.jpg

I glues the table caps to the bottom of my skimmer being careful to ensure equal spacing for stability. Weld on 14 or Oatly Fusion glue will do a good job if gluing most dissimilar plastics such as PVC to acrylic and I recommend it as I've now refitted three skimmers like this with no issues. The table caps will need a hole drilled into the side of the to allow water to escape.
IMG_20180710_173933.jpg

Next you will need PVC pipe cut to size and end caps.
IMG_20180710_201205.jpg

Once attach the end cap to the PVC you will need to drill a hole towards the base of the PVC pipe for water to come in and in the end caps for your isolators to plug into. I used a 1/4" hole for both the pipe and the end cap - worked fine.

The end caps will run about $1.50 each though I score a 10 pack on Amazon for $12 (with prime!).
Rubber isolators will be priced all over the lace and though I had a set for this skimmer I picked an assortment of grommets on Amazon for $8.99 (again with prime!) that had several different sized and types that will work. The link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Pro-Asso...-spons&keywords=rubber+isolation+mounts&psc=1

IMG_20180710_203116.jpg

Once the table caps have dried simply insert the legs and place your skimmer in the sump for testing. I would NOT advise gluing anything other than the table caps to the skimmer base. It doesn't need glue and as you might find that the legs need to shortened or lengthened for optimal performance. Even it you get the height perfect on the first shot you may change sumps, sell it etc.

IMG_20180710_203210.jpg

So how did it work out for me?

* In the video everything is VERY noisy. Lots of water and pumps breaking in. Its dead silent now.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to show you guys a simple way to build a skimmer stand that doesn't trap detritus, effect the flow in your sump, take up too much room, lacks isolators for vibration and costs $50 or more. The skimmer I'm running is a Vertex Omega 180i and by all accounts its very picky about water level for optimal performance. Looking at the BRS recommendation of 8" and reading a few articles that state 9" I decided to split the difference at 8.5". I prefer so hear as little noise as possible out of my tanks to I also planned for vibration isolators. After thinking about it a bit I came up with the following.

The riser starts off with a PVC fitting called a "Table cap". They run about $3.00 each unless you buy a bag of 10 and then you can expect to pay $1.70 - $2.50 each. I needed 4 of these.
208312-tablecap-1--and-1_1.jpg

I glues the table caps to the bottom of my skimmer being careful to ensure equal spacing for stability. Weld on 14 or Oatly Fusion glue will do a good job if gluing most dissimilar plastics such as PVC to acrylic and I recommend it as I've now refitted three skimmers like this with no issues. The table caps will need a hole drilled into the side of the to allow water to escape.
IMG_20180710_173933.jpg

Next you will need PVC pipe cut to size and end caps.
IMG_20180710_201205.jpg

Once attach the end cap to the PVC you will need to drill a hole towards the base of the PVC pipe for water to come in and in the end caps for your isolators to plug into. I used a 1/4" hole for both the pipe and the end cap - worked fine.

The end caps will run about $1.50 each though I score a 10 pack on Amazon for $12 (with prime!).
Rubber isolators will be priced all over the lace and though I had a set for this skimmer I picked an assortment of grommets on Amazon for $8.99 (again with prime!) that had several different sized and types that will work. The link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Pro-Asso...-spons&keywords=rubber+isolation+mounts&psc=1

IMG_20180710_203116.jpg

Once the table caps have dried simply insert the legs and place your skimmer in the sump for testing. I would NOT advise gluing anything other than the table caps to the skimmer base. It doesn't need glue and as you might find that the legs need to shortened or lengthened for optimal performance. Even it you get the height perfect on the first shot you may change sumps, sell it etc.

IMG_20180710_203210.jpg

So how did it work out for me?

* In the video everything is VERY noisy. Lots of water and pumps breaking in. Its dead silent now.

Awesome design and DIY!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, did you noticed I ripped of your barnacle idea for my rock work LOL? Really should go back and credit you for that ;)

One of the reasons I love this place!
So many great ideas and stuff to share!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back