2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do y'all think??
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367877306.804275.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

that is pretty sick. i would buy that in a heartbeat.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I may have to try that. If anything it's always fun to just make a mess

OP
OP
chadderboxx

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the last time my wife and i made DIY live rock we were using balloons to made dome rock. you can try that too.
Ya I had 2 balloons at the house I Tryed on my first batch and popped them both! Lol I just swing sand as a filler so it gives it that ragged look. How did your come out?

Looks good. I may have to try that. If anything it's always fun to just make a mess
Lol allways fun to get messy and it's a arm work out I will say that.

That's awesome. Gonna try that on the next tank.
Lol don't wait try it now and add/replace what you got let me know how it comes out.

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rock came out ok and I popped a few myself. the trick is not to fill the balloon up all the way. We built one up really good and thick so it can handle weight on it. we have made a LOT of DIY live rock. close to 1000 lbs i think. I make it and use some and sell the rest or give it out lol

OP
OP
chadderboxx

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rock came out ok and I popped a few myself. the trick is not to fill the balloon up all the way. We built one up really good and thick so it can handle weight on it. we have made a LOT of DIY live rock. close to 1000 lbs i think. I make it and use some and sell the rest or give it out lol

Post it up I want to see give me ideals of shapes what mix did you use

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK well if you want to make a tunnel you can put a piece of PVC in sand, put a small amount on the bottom than put on the pvc and top it off. after a bit of time you should be able to take out the pvc with out it collapsing. i use plastic wrap and/or wax paper to cover the pipe. just makes it easier.

Next would have to be what my wife calls a gobby play house. it is pvc pipping that is covered up by rock and it is for a pistol shrimp and a gobby relationship. it worked great untell the pistol shrimp took out on of my fish.

that is all i did well that and the balloon caves. I hope this helps with your set up.

my mix was 1 3/4 cup portlan, 1 cup crushed shells, 1 1/2 cup play sand, and 1 to 1 1/4 cup of pie gravel. that was the mix i had the best results in.

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a few other ideas if you dont mind.

you can make a fan worm tree by making a pillar and drill out some half in holes and set them in like a tree. my worms loved that.

and finally my wife and i are going to make a hand print disk to put on the bottom in the are last name. but when we have kids well have
them do the same thing with us.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya your building a system you cant take days off of the build......tell that to my wife about the pool deck hahah. nice bro. looking good
DIY rock is the bomb,

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you see it
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367780639.486940.jpg

Now you don't
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367780669.584717.jpg

Also I'm am attempting to DIY live rock. The only problem EVERYONE only had gray Portland cement. I can NOT find white. So plan B is to use PVC primer to make it look like purple algae on the rock.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367780741.218779.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367780760.168107.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367780770.817877.jpg

Hey when you come visit and see my build we will stop at the local place that has the white, stock up!! lol

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I started my old system a long time ago I spent a good 800 to 900 on live rock for the tank than i found out about DIY live rock and i started making all kinds of odd rocks and it looked awesome. I went from 300 lbs of rock to close to 1100 lbs of rock in the system. so I make a lot for friends of mine and whoever is looking for some in the area. My next system will be in this category for systems.

OP
OP
chadderboxx

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I started my old system a long time ago I spent a good 800 to 900 on live rock for the tank than i found out about DIY live rock and i started making all kinds of odd rocks and it looked awesome. I went from 300 lbs of rock to close to 1100 lbs of rock in the system. so I make a lot for friends of mine and whoever is looking for some in the area. My next system will be in this category for systems.

Yes I deffently like my rock better then any live rock I have in my tank or any live rock I have seen at the Lfs I don't know if it's just me or I really do think it far Superior then what I have found. I will say this I will never buy live rock from anyone since I know how easy & Awesome it is to make it yourself.

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you guys giving your DIY rock to cure? I have been doing 30 days in a black bin, being sure to keep the humidity up and then 30 days in freshwater with daily changes. Its painful to wait a full 2 months to use the rock, but I'm terrified of messing up my system just to cut corners.

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention...

I went to one HD in my area to get white portland cement 2 times and got nothing out of it and then went to another store and got a sack special ordered for me easy peasy. After using both the white looks better initially, but the grey colors up just the same in very little time and I kind of feel that the grey is stronger, but it could just be a batch to batch thing. My recipe is usually 1 part cement, 2 parts aragonite (or playsand if its just for frags) and 2 parts perlite (puffed glass sold at nurseries) to add bulk and cut down on weight.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back