OP
OP
chadderboxx

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you guys giving your DIY rock to cure? I have been doing 30 days in a black bin, being sure to keep the humidity up and then 30 days in freshwater with daily changes. Its painful to wait a full 2 months to use the rock, but I'm terrified of messing up my system just to cut corners.

I went to one HD in my area to get white portland cement 2 times and got nothing out of it and then went to another store and got a sack special ordered for me easy peasy. After using both the white looks better initially, but the grey colors up just the same in very little time and I kind of feel that the grey is stronger, but it could just be a batch to batch thing. My recipe is usually 1 part cement, 2 parts aragonite (or playsand if its just for frags) and 2 parts perlite (puffed glass sold at nurseries) to add bulk and cut down on weight.
I'm giving it 24h to cure and straight into the soak tub. Concrete will cure in water the same as in air and will continue to cure for 1y but I figured 60 days in water or untill water ph is 7. Post up some pic y'all are more then welcome give me some ideals! And patch to patch this yes my first piece broke in 2 think I made it to dry but still works as a base.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a Pagoda style soon. I'm thinking 3 layers with a replacable slanted roof.

Bluesaltwater87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I will wait about 60 to 90 days but i let my rock cure in direct sunlight. from sun up to sun down and after about 90 days i put it in my Live Rock Tank witch is a 95 gallon tub i got from a yard sale for 5 bucks. I have 3 100 gallon Hang on back filters on it. and when i do a water change in my tank i put the water in the tub and i also put in some cured live rock and after about 9 weeks to 13 weeks I test the water and if it is good to go than booyaa

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a little table to practice with before I try the pagoda layout. I cut a piece of styrofoam out and then packed it in wet sand, pulled the styrofoam out and started dropping the mix in.
IMG_5572.jpg

OP
OP
chadderboxx

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are going to be nice. Keep showing some pics need more ideas for when I start making some.

I didn't want to use PVC and make it look " Unnatural" so I just used sand on top of the rock and I will say it looks rugged and very natural. So hopefull the fish will love it as much as I do. Need to get more Sand ran out today and more crushed oyster shell maybe have enought for 2 more batches

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

amppdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a bit more with larger pieces I have to say that I am really impressed with using wet sand as a casting material. I thought it would cause problems, but it really seems to allow for building forms and letting the rock retain texture. Nice pieces there Chadderboxx.

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking awesome man! im loving the DIY rock. you are making me want to do it in the future

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I just like letting the tank do the work and color up the rock. You notice coraline better and its cool to see the tank change. I bought a bunch of rock from bulk reef supply and am just letting it do its thing. But that's just me. For some reason I don't like the all purple rocked tanks. I'm pretty new to the hobby and that might change

sent from my phone.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back