Chaeto Algae Solution?

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I got a small bag of chaeto algae yesterday. First time trying this. Placed it in my sump in the middle chamber following the skimmer. The issue I have is that my particular sump's baffle to the return is fairly short and has a broken gap. So little pieces of algae that are breaking off the ball are making their way to the return pump where they are then being pushed through to the display. Total pain. Any DIY boxes or any products that may be able to help alleviate this? I'm rather irritated by it and I don't want chaeto growing in my display.
Thanks

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture to see what we're dealing with. Also if you have any tangs they will eat it.

Here is a pic of my sump. No tangs as my tank is only a 55 gal. Haven't gotten a yellow tang yet and most likely wont. The middle chamber is shown. On the left is the return chamber. Just below the black sponge filter, you can see the gap in the baffle just in front of the media bag. I think algae would make it through whether the gap was there or not. I just seem to have a lot of little chaeto pieces floating around. Don't want an outbreak in my display so I need a solution. Thanks
IMG_0781.JPG

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe figure out a way to fill the baffle gap tight with a sponge which should help keep it out of the display but should be cleaned regularly.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use BRS egg crate wrapped in BRS screen top material to keep things in check. If you get the 1/8 screen top there's little that will get through.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goggle "chaeto egg crate sandwich" and see if devising something like that might work for you. BigHildy's idea is a good one also.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back