Chaeto Algae Solution?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Aaron Davis, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Hey all,

I got a small bag of chaeto algae yesterday. First time trying this. Placed it in my sump in the middle chamber following the skimmer. The issue I have is that my particular sump's baffle to the return is fairly short and has a broken gap. So little pieces of algae that are breaking off the ball are making their way to the return pump where they are then being pushed through to the display. Total pain. Any DIY boxes or any products that may be able to help alleviate this? I'm rather irritated by it and I don't want chaeto growing in my display.
    Thanks

2. Shaddow_wolf169

Shaddow_wolf169 Well-Known Member

Picture to see what we're dealing with. Also if you have any tangs they will eat it.

3. Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Here is a pic of my sump. No tangs as my tank is only a 55 gal. Haven't gotten a yellow tang yet and most likely wont. The middle chamber is shown. On the left is the return chamber. Just below the black sponge filter, you can see the gap in the baffle just in front of the media bag. I think algae would make it through whether the gap was there or not. I just seem to have a lot of little chaeto pieces floating around. Don't want an outbreak in my display so I need a solution. Thanks
    IMG_0781.JPG

4. Palyzoa

Palyzoa Well-Known Member ETRC Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Maybe figure out a way to fill the baffle gap tight with a sponge which should help keep it out of the display but should be cleaned regularly.

5. BigHildy53

BigHildy53 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Use BRS egg crate wrapped in BRS screen top material to keep things in check. If you get the 1/8 screen top there's little that will get through.

lion king likes this.
  6. lion king

lion king Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Goggle "chaeto egg crate sandwich" and see if devising something like that might work for you. BigHildy's idea is a good one also.

Draft saved Draft deleted