Chaeto breaking/splitting in small pieces

Magostini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I need an advice here.
I have a refugium with a chaeto set about 15 days ago. It was fine until yesterday when started to break in a few pieces. Today in the morning it was worse, so I took out from the sump because started to spread a lot of pieces in the tank. It is still green despite all of that (attached a photo)
What has changed in the last 2 days: I noticed MG and CA were too low: 1100 and 350 respectively and started to dose red sea mg and CA calcium. They are both increasing now about 20 ppm per day, but still low: 1160 and 400.
The questions are:
Is Chaeto suffering or this is normal? Is this caused by the supplement dosing?
What can I do about that?
Thank you!
IMG_20210410_093757.jpg

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing your tank is crashing and stuff is dying that's why this is an emergency?

OP
OP
M

Magostini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry it is not an emergency... My fault, I will edit it... The issue is with chaeto only

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free fish food. Maybe your flow, add egg create, filter floss, or similar where it flows out. May need to clean return pump if anything is stuck.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum, well, it is a DIY light... It is not a Kessil or something similar...
You may want to increase the photoperiod or lower the light to increase intensity, you may want to try a hydroponic light, it doesn’t need to be fancy. Your chaeto can get light more than 20 hrs a day.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have a hard time keeping chaeto happy myself although most people would not consider losing chaeto an emergency...unless of course you were losing chaeto because your sump sprung a leak. But then again, an "emergency" is a subjective thing.

For me it often grows and then crashes or does OK for a while then gets brittle and falls apart.

I have never really found an answer.

Things I've experimented with:

I've recently increased the flow in my refugium. That can potentially help. I've heard chaeto likes strong flow.
Dosing some iron, manganese and molybdenum can help.
They have a short article on chaeto on the Algae Barn website. They say it's hard to over-light chaeto BUT if it's having a hard time maybe cutting back on the photo period might help.

The best solution I've found is a fellow reefer named Brian who gives me the chaeto he's gonna throw away anway and I toss him a few frags.

Find Brian.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have a hard time keeping chaeto happy myself although most people would not consider losing chaeto an emergency...unless of course you were losing chaeto because your sump sprung a leak. But then again, an "emergency" is a subjective thing.

For me it often grows and then crashes or does OK for a while then gets brittle and falls apart.

I have never really found an answer.

Things I've experimented with:

I've recently increased the flow in my refugium. That can potentially help. I've heard chaeto likes strong flow.
Dosing some iron, manganese and molybdenum can help.
They have a short article on chaeto on the Algae Barn website. They say it's hard to over-light chaeto BUT if it's having a hard time maybe cutting back on the photo period might help.

The best solution I've found is a fellow reefer named Brian who gives me the chaeto he's gonna throw away anway and I toss him a few frags.

Find Brian.
Dosing a little bit of Iodine will help them handle the long photosynthetic process as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back