OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! Only one problem though, you should have brought that to market!

Well what's to market? The egg crate?It's a DIY idea made with egg crate that I've shared with everyone so they can use something that works nice and doesn't cost much at all to make. It's not a product, it's an idea that most people can DIY. Place something similar in a LFS and I bet most people would stick to DO It Themselves.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been using this method? What do you feel are the benefits besides it being awesome?

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this method for about 3 yrs. I like that it acts like a natural filter pad, and the thicker it gets the more detrius and particles it holds. Then, it gets full of all kinds of shrimp and zooplankton. I place it on the back half(50%) end of the refugium against the overflow baffle. That way a large % of the water exiting the refugium has to go through it. I have not experimented with 2 Chaetopads covering all(100%) of refugium area but it would probably work more efficiently, in having all refugium water flow going through the Chaetopads. I haven't tried. With 1,growth is fast. I use 6500k PC bulb 24 hrs on, and I harvest the Chaeto about every 1 1/2 -2 months with a newly set up tank. As the display tank matures, the chaeto growth seems to slow. I haven't changed the core Chaeto (within the panels) since I started it. I think I'm gonna open and place fresh Chaeto inside soon cause I am getting some nuissance algaes attached to the chaeto, mostly red bubble algae. Hope you all benefit from this idea! Thanks.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here, Nice way to innovate....stuff like this is why the hobby is so great...new ideas daily. Im sure someone some where thinks this is good or bad....dosent matter, because this hobby is surrounded by trial and error. So i think you have a sucessfull idea that is great..thank yo for sharing and not keeping it to your self. Way to go, I am too going to build this asap!! thanks

Nikki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now I have a quick and easy project for this weekend. Thanks for sharing this!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dt3g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome DIY, would definitely have to try this out.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I'm glad to always help fellow hobbyist with something useful and cheap.. Let me know if you have any questions or comments?

Nikki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this quick diy on Sunday night. Took me maybe an hour to go to home Depot for more egg crate, and cut and build this sandwich Idea. So far so good! Unfortunately, the magnets I bought to hold the sandwich in place in the sump weren't thick enough, so it's like an inch from the water line. I'll fix it this weekend and take photos. Thanks again for the idea!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411873154.248774.jpg

Here is a recent picture. The egg rate on the left is full and ready for harvest. The one on the right was harvested days before. I do only one side each harvest.

OP
OP
Rjramos

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412785756.547063.jpg

Full grown to the surface !!! Ready for harvest! I like to trim about 1/2" off the top rather than flush with the plastic egg crate below. The chaeto recovers and starts to grow back better. Kind of like the lawn, too low is not good either!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back