OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your snowflake aggressive with fish? Got two small anthias, mandarin, dwarf angel and blennies. My blennies either stay in a barnacle on top of the rocks or jump and “swim” from high places.
Also I have a baby clown trigger. She is growing pretty fast but still small, I dont want her eaten at all!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your snowflake aggressive with fish? Got two small anthias, mandarin, dwarf angel and blennies. My blennies either stay in a barnacle on top of the rocks or jump and “swim” from high places.
Nope but then I keep either very fast or big fish that are not easy targets for it. Blennies are not great swimmers.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but then I keep either very fast or big fish that are not easy targets for it. Blennies are not great swimmers.
I have a spot where I can construct a PVC pipe behind a rock cave that none of my fish use for a snowflake. Im most worried about my baby trigger. The other smaller fish (like a dottyback) is fast as heck. I would think they wouldnt eat a mandarin because of their slime coat.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo chain link is probably a better bet as well as snowflakes, they are 2 feet long, better for my tank as its a 125. Also open to ribbons too

Ribbons are not for the faint of heart, high maintenance, and any small fish will be at risk with any eel. Ribbons will happily dispatch small fish. Here's a thread on the ribbon eel, I wrote 2 other threads on eels as well.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ribbons are not for the faint of heart, high maintenance, and any small fish will be at risk with any eel. Ribbons will happily dispatch small fish. Here's a thread on the ribbon eel, I wrote 2 other threads on eels as well.

Yeah I dont think Ill do a ribbon, super expensive and the care aspect! Have you had a snowflake before?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spot where I can construct a PVC pipe behind a rock cave that none of my fish use for a snowflake. Im most worried about my baby trigger. The other smaller fish (like a dottyback) is fast as heck. I would think they wouldnt eat a mandarin because of their slime coat.
Mine never really uses the PVC, thats for the snake eels, but having a good hiding place is key.

Triggers are tough. I think I told you before but I got rid of mine because they were too aggressive to my eels. You should also be aware that aggression often goes the other way. Angels and triggers can kill an eel too. Treat the eel like adding another trigger or angel. It may go well but have a back up plan and the hiding spot as discussed.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chainlink was awesome btw. Not the prettiest but was always out and about and not nearly as bitey as my snowflake. Its a shame I had to give it up.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I dont think Ill do a ribbon, super expensive and the care aspect! Have you had a snowflake before?

Personally no, but I have known many hobbyist with them and have literally seen 100s come through the lfs. Snowflakes get larger than reported in you are able to care for them into maturity, I have seen them close to 30" and 1.5" in diameter. They will eat small fish and have strong, crushing teeth. You'll hear mixed reviews, but the negative ones usually come from user error; they are a great eel with the proper tankmates, care, and introduction.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chainlink was awesome btw. Not the prettiest but was always out and about and not nearly as bitey as my snowflake. Its a shame I had to give it up.

Mine never really uses the PVC, thats for the snake eels, but having a good hiding place is key.

Triggers are tough. I think I told you before but I got rid of mine because they were too aggressive to my eels. You should also be aware that aggression often goes the other way. Angels and triggers can kill an eel too. Treat the eel like adding another trigger or angel. It may go well but have a back up plan and the hiding spot as discussed.
Ah okay thats good advice, Im so focused on the eel not hurting anyone else that I forget triggers can be mean too. My niger is just so chill so Im spoiled with him haha. Jury is out on Harbinger, my baby clown triggeer since shes too little to realize shes a trigger fish yet haha. I actually really like the chain link eel to be honest because its very different from the other moray eels!
Personally no, but I have known many hobbyist with them and have literally seen 100s come through the lfs. Snowflakes get larger than reported in you are able to care for them into maturity, I have seen them close to 30" and 1.5" in diameter. They will eat small fish and have strong, crushing teeth. You'll hear mixed reviews, but the negative ones usually come from user error; they are a great eel with the proper tankmates, care, and introduction.

And these are great, i will take a look! By negative reviews being user error Im assuming that means not feeding the right amount of correct foods? I take a look at these articles tonight!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king @Slocke this is my trigger Im the most worried about being eaten, shes one of my favorite fish. The female clown is roughly 3.5 to 4 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1957.jpeg
    IMG_1957.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1956.jpeg
    IMG_1956.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay thats good advice, Im so focused on the eel not hurting anyone else that I forget triggers can be mean too. My niger is just so chill so Im spoiled with him haha. Jury is out on Harbinger, my baby clown triggeer since shes too little to realize shes a trigger fish yet haha. I actually really like the chain link eel to be honest because its very different from the other moray eels!

And these are great, i will take a look! By negative reviews being user error Im assuming that means not feeding the right amount of correct foods? I take a look at these articles tonight!
Also these are my anthers sizes. Smallest is an inch-ish. Male is the same size as my female clown.

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 26

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@lion king @Slocke this is my trigger Im the most worried about being eaten, shes one of my favorite fish. The female clown is roughly 3.5 to 4 inches.
I probably wouldn’t do any eel with in this tank with the current livestock but if you do get an eel make sure you have a super tight fitting lid. And the trigger is so cute and looks really little!:pleading-face:

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn’t do any eel with in this tank with the current livestock but if you do get an eel make sure you have a super tight fitting lid. And the trigger is so cute and looks really little!:pleading-face:
Yes shes so cute! Shes doubled in size so she was like a nickel when I got her! Shes soooo cute. She doesnt have any idea shes a trigger fish yet follows my foxface around all the time!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with a small chain link moray thats between 6 and 10 inches! Little guy should come next week. The chain link seems like the best fit for my tank and has the most reports of being a very calm moray! Only have one issue, I know its always good to QT fish. However I have a 10 gallon hospital tank and a 32 (currently occupied by a powder blue tang) but BOTH systems have had copper in them for a while. I know eels are sensitive and dont do well with copper. I was wondering how much of a risk it is to introduce them directly into the DT, knowing they are pretty resistant to the usual tank issues like ich and velvet. However I know @lion king mentioned that it can be common for them to have internal parasites. If this is the case will that harm my other fish and is that treatable? Also is there a way I could clean my 10 gallon out of copper and make it safe for the little eel, (my 32 has sand and some rock so copper will be all over that stuff) where as my 10 is bare bottom. @Slocke tagging you as well since youre an eel dude!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also anyone know if the arrow crab I have will get eaten by the chain link? Shes a pretty good size. Shes my BF’s favorite thing in the tank… I can move her to my 70 gallon but my freaking coral banded shrimp killed the last one I think. Found its legs all over. Cant get that dang shrimp out to put in my nano either!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back