Chalice coral lighting level

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi chalice experts,

I want to get some advise on the chalice light intensity . Currently I'm switching to a hydra 26 for my nano tank. As I have different type of chalice (rainbow, pink bobbies, mummy eye ), I want to know what is the best par level for them. Before I kept them around 70 to 80 par, they are doing okay and kept their color but their color seems to fade a little (not as pop as I first get it) after they have been in the tank for a while. Is it because I'm using led not t5? What is the maximum par I can keep them as well?(because I have a mixed reef and the sps on top of the tank might need more light). Thank you!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi chalice experts,

I want to get some advise on the chalice light intensity . Currently I'm switching to a hydra 26 for my nano tank. As I have different type of chalice (rainbow, pink bobbies, mummy eye ), I want to know what is the best par level for them. Before I kept them around 70 to 80 par, they are doing okay and kept their color but their color seems to fade a little (not as pop as I first get it) after they have been in the tank for a while. Is it because I'm using led not t5? What is the maximum par I can keep them as well?(because I have a mixed reef and the sps on top of the tank might need more light). Thank you!
From my experience (Which isn't alot lol ) chalice's should be around 80-100 par. Hope this helps!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Will over 100 par affect the color or health?
if you slowly acclimate them to it they should be ok, just keep a close eye on them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow two types of Rainbows (Gonzos Motor City Mayhem and Rainbow Crush from Cornbred) in my frag tank under Metal Halides at 500+ PAR. They do not need anywhere near this amount of light, but they grow fast and are colorful. I have kept them lower in my tanks at about 200ish PAR also under Metal Halide. I did not find that they like to be in the shadows, or anything. I do not have any areas with less light than this, but it seems like they would probably be OK.

I have never spot fed them.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow two types of Rainbows (Gonzos Motor City Mayhem and Rainbow Crush from Cornbred) in my frag tank under Metal Halides at 500+ PAR. They do not need anywhere near this amount of light, but they grow fast and are colorful. I have kept them lower in my tanks at about 200ish PAR also under Metal Halide. I did not find that they like to be in the shadows, or anything. I do not have any areas with less light than this, but it seems like they would probably be OK.

I have never spot fed them.
Wow, so you have successfully put them into hight light. Did you accumulated them to this level of light?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just throw them in. This is high quality light - I do not believe that all light quality is the same nor a photon a photon, so take that FWIW (not wanting to start a light war). I just measured for ya and I was a little off... 455 PAR on Apogee 510 right on the meter. You can do the 1.32 conversion factor if you want... 600.6 with the math.

Just to clarify, I would not be upset to put them in lower light... just this is all that I have in the frag tank where I mostly grow Acropora. Also, I have bounces and jawbreakers that do great in here too under about the same output.

Milkmanskid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been wondering the same with mine. Started growing and stopped immediately. My anemone was shading it and it started STN. I moved it today after I was tired of looking at it that way. Hardy little *******. Now I have it in much higher light. Sink or swim. It is a lighter purple/pink with green polyps

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been wondering the same with mine. Started growing and stopped immediately. My anemone was shading it and it started STN. I moved it today after I was tired of looking at it that way. Hardy little *******. Now I have it in much higher light. Sink or swim. It is a lighter purple/pink with green polyps
Good to know

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think like said above they can survive under higher light if acclimated. I'd slowly ramp up your lights until you get to the intensity/brightness for your other corals and for what looks good in your tank.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a local guy that started running his light for only 5 hours a day on his chalices and he said they really took off after he did that. No idea what par he has them at.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several watermelon chalice frags in a small rack up high under around 300 par LEDs. I just put them there from the start. Their color is great and they're growing enthusiastically. I don't think chalices need low light, necessarily. What may be more important is the different between your light and the light levels and spectrum they had gotten used to before being transferred to your tank. I think this applies to most corals, and this can account for why some animals, like yumas in my tank for example, always seem to do better when obtained from one source as compared to another.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several watermelon chalice frags in a small rack up high under around 300 par LEDs. I just put them there from the start. Their color is great and they're growing enthusiastically. I don't think chalices need low light, necessarily. What may be more important is the different between your light and the light levels and spectrum they had gotten used to before being transferred to your tank. I think this applies to most corals, and this can account for why some animals, like yumas in my tank for example, always seem to do better when obtained from one source as compared to another.

Thank you for the great info

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK!! I know this is an old post but. I got the same issue. Was losing tissue lower so slowly ,over it up and seems like it's not now nut I just wanna get that there good around the top 1/3 of the tank? So far it's my 2nd higher light demand chalice and throw me off and don't wanna even think about losing it. This is incase anything new has come out. Thanks.

Back