Chalices peeling please help!

UltraLPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have run into a major issue with my chalices peeling and no one seems to have an answer for why this is happening. All the chalices I have had been doing incredibly well for a year or more but recently several of my chalices have started getting lighter in colour with mouths wide open and then the flesh peels right off (all different types of chalices). I have kept chalices for many years and have never had this issue. My water chemistry is always stable and I test frequently. Mag is 1450, Calcium 430, Alk 8. I haven't changed anything in the tank. All my other corals are doing well including favias and acans and mushrooms, as well as acros so I don't understand why the chalices. I know there are many experts here and I would really appreciate your help. I also ran an ICP test and here are the results if anyone can help determine where the problem is.

Chalices.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @UltraLPS

Sorry about the delay and definitely about the troubles. Could you post your full tank numbers and more info about your tank, maybe a pic. I saw CU on icp, but such a small amount I am not sure that would be the cause. I will defer that for a second opinion. With a bit more info hopefully we can figure something out.

#WelcometoR2R

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t. An ICP test showed elevated Tin, Sulfur, and Silicon, but I’m not sure if that was related.

I did get a few new chalices, and one was showing its skeleton a tiny bit the other day. I fed it some reef raids, and it’s looked much better since. I think the trick might be catching it early and feeding them (all other things being in check).

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad u didn’t figure it out- although maybe the elevated elements had something to do w it. I’ve always spot fed my chalice every two weeks and upped it to twice weekly as soon as I noticed the problem to no avail. I haven’t pulled them in hopes of a miracle- haven’t dipped and cut cuz I figure whatever’s in the tank will still be in there. I’ve read a few experienced people say it “just happens” w chalice. I hate that part of the hobby. Good luck w the new ones and happy reefing!!

Back