Chalk Bass!!!!!

Reefanatic24/7

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2019
Messages
47
Reaction score
15
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited my LFS today and saw a group of chalk bass in their main display and I fell absolutely in love with them. I want all the information possible on these fish so please PLEASE share. I was thinking that I'll get one for my fluval evo 13.5 (still not set-up smh) Do y'all think that that'll be adequate for one bass? Igreen's guide to nano tanks on nano reef forum suggests a 20gallon but the only tankmates I'm planning are a YWG and pistol pair.... I NEED YOUR FEEDBACK lol
 
13.5 is way to small, they are a pretty good sized fish. I wouldn’t put one in less than a 75gal.
 
chalkbass12-16-12_zps582c525d.jpg
 
I thought they only got to around 3 inches?
Mine was at least 5-6 in my 90gal before he managed to jump :(. They are very active swimmers, mine seemed mildly cramped even in my 90.
a really cool tank would be a 6-8foot tank with a trio of them.That would be sweet. They are social with each other I've heard.
 
Mine was at least 5-6 in my 90gal before he managed to jump :(. They are very active swimmers, mine seemed mildly cramped even in my 90.
a really cool tank would be a 6-8foot tank with a trio of them.That would be sweet. They are social with each other I've heard.
Are you sure it was a chalk bass? I've read and heard lots of stories of how monstrous chalk basses were actually tobacco basses that the LFS mislabeled... I don't mean to sound patronizing btw lol
 
Are you sure it was a chalk bass? I've read and heard lots of stories of how monstrous chalk basses were actually tobacco basses that the LFS mislabeled... I don't mean to sound patronizing btw lol
F0FCE911-ACED-481E-9AE5-180034159992.jpeg
 
I visited my LFS today and saw a group of chalk bass in their main display and I fell absolutely in love with them. I want all the information possible on these fish so please PLEASE share. I was thinking that I'll get one for my fluval evo 13.5 (still not set-up smh) Do y'all think that that'll be adequate for one bass? Igreen's guide to nano tanks on nano reef forum suggests a 20gallon but the only tankmates I'm planning are a YWG and pistol pair.... I NEED YOUR FEEDBACK lol
I have one in my 13.5G. He is an awesome fish! Has been thriving in there for 5 months.
 
Have 1 in my 150, it grew from 2”-3” pretty quickly. I wouldn’t put it in a 13.5 alone or with a YWG.
Lots of cool nano fish you can consider.
 
I have a chalk bass in my 120g - he rarely leaves a 12" diameter area of the tank, is healthy and happy, eats great, active during feeding, doesn't bother anyone or anything.

I think a chalk bass that gets larger than 2 or 3 inches may not be a chalk bass at all.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new