Changing RODI Units

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ran a 4 stage twist in unit and had the same problem that di didn’t last long, I then had something come through my city water and get through my rodi and killed over 10k of high end corals. Only get a 7 stage even after 4 stage I have TDS and sounds like you have a high tds count too. 7 stage is the only way to protect yourself. Your saltwater can only be as good as your rodi and don’t cheap out. I have a 200 gpd 7 stage from bull reef.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went with a BRS 5 stage I’ve never regretEd doing it. I’ve since added a second DI canister. I just waited until they had a sale. I did research for weeks before making a decision and I looked into the RO buddy as well.

The thing with the RO Buddy is the size of the media inside those canisters is a little smaller than what you’ll get from BRS, Spectrapure etc. You'll have to change more often. Second without a pressure gage on the RO Buddy more difficult to know when to change the sediment filter. Third, if you have chloramine in your water you’ll need their add on filter to get rid. By the time you add that filter you’re very near the cost of a BRS system. The same sizing issue holds true for this filter as the others plus it’s not inexpensive.

IMO, BRS offers the highest value and is extremely high quality. A BRS system will come with everything you need to install your system and has whatever upgrades you want going forward.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That range is almost every possible residential situation anywhere. Do you have a pressure guage so you can you be more specific?

How many gallons of water do you make per month? Are there chloramines in your tap water?

Something better than the RO buddie would definitely be great, but something is going on if you're burning out 2 DI cartridges a month, and you'll need to make a big part of your decision based on information, not just product recommendations.
I have a pressure gauge and when I turn my faucet full on I can get like 90 but I usually run it at 55. I probably make 50 gallons a month.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to check if my water runs chloramines we live in the mountains I don’t know if that affects anything but I know our water is SUPER HARD.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remember, making smaller batches will burn through DI resin faster. I make a minimum of 35g each time I make water. I initially started with a 4 stage plus BRS unit and now have slowly upgraded to a 7 stage. My pressure was on the low side, but running a booster did the trick and my waste to product water is about 2:1

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, making smaller batches will burn through DI resin faster. I make a minimum of 35g each time I make water. I initially started with a 4 stage plus BRS unit and now have slowly upgraded to a 7 stage. My pressure was on the low side, but running a booster did the trick and my waste to product water is about 2:1
Yeah I usually make about 18 gallons at a time. I really think I’m just gonna upgrade and not go cheap on the water. Probably the BRS 4 or 5 stage to start but first I need to know what’s in my water.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get yourself a 25g ace rotomold container and fill it each time. Money well spent. I put mine on a furniture dolly, so filling ATO containers is a breeze.
877F5D2E-440D-4BC0-8E25-DECF1D6FBDF2.jpeg

48EFFB75-AA0D-4561-BB14-8498460E404A.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a 25g ace rotomold container and fill it each time. Money well spent. I put mine on a furniture dolly, so filling ATO containers is a breeze.
877F5D2E-440D-4BC0-8E25-DECF1D6FBDF2.jpeg

48EFFB75-AA0D-4561-BB14-8498460E404A.jpeg
Yeah I might have to do that it’s been a real pain trying to lug water around every week.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is there a way to effectively measure how much water you have in a container? It takes so long to measure how much water I actually have in my container to mix salt is there markings on the container or something?

Back