Cheap & easy DIY Pod Hotel project

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share a simple DIY project that I decided to tackle months ago. This is one of the many steps I took on my 25 cube to prepare it for a captive bred mandarin to allow it to thrive in my small tank (which she is doing and she's nice and fat!!!) I had stumbled across someone who had a post about corrugated plastic (stuff they make yard signs out of) and how they used it in their copepod culture to increase surface area to allow the pods to multiply faster. It got me thinking about using it in my pod cultures. The idea is it creates a lot of extra surface area for the pods to live on and grow better above and beyond just the walls of the tank or jar. One of the main reasons people do the you need a large tank to have a mandarin is because of the amount of rockwork to allow for a healthy and sustainable pod population so the mandarin can have an endless supply of pods in the tank and not starve.

I have also looked at a way to increase the copepod population in my tank to help sustain a mandarin in a smaller tank I found the Pod Hotels that go for at least $30 plus shipping and I thought there had to be a better way so low and behold I combined the two ideas into my cheap and easy DIY pod hotels!!! I went out to a local big box hardware store and picked up some corrugate plastic which was 24"x18" for a little under $7. I already had super glue, scissors and frag plugs on hand. I currently have 2 of the pod hotels in my tank and they've been in the tank since around April 2020 and they are totally encrusted in coralline algae and they blend in quite nicely. I don't think I used of the 24"x18" corrugated plastic sheet so for about $3 or $4 I had 2 pod hotels.

20200414_110819.jpg
20200414_110830_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
afboundguy

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I then decided to cut groves in the top and bottom pieces of each layer (just one side for the top and bottom pieces) so that the pods could have even more shelter and space to move around on the inside...

20200414_120809.jpg
20200414_120816.jpg

OP
OP
afboundguy

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I did was use super glue gell to glue them together. I'm glad I spent the extra time to cut the groves as it really will let the pods stay inside the hotel and do the dirty deed in peace and quiet...

20200414_154646.jpg

OP
OP
afboundguy

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture shows how cutting alternating slits in the top and bottom they'll be able to crawl around inside and go to all the levels...

20200414_123935.jpg

OP
OP
afboundguy

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now needed to figure out how to keep them on the sandbed in the tank. I first thought about gluing some small rock rubble or vacant shells to the underside but then I thought about frag plugs. 2 frag plugs superglued to the bottom worked perfectly and kept them easily on the sandbed. They also have the added benefit of being able to stick into the sandbed so they don't get moved around as well!

20200418_084251.jpg

OP
OP
afboundguy

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad for what I have to imagine easily costing well under $1 per hotel. Tad bit better than the $30 plus shipping for the fancy real one :cool:

Stuck them in the back of the tank basically out of site from the front view of the tank...

20200418_152329_HDR.jpg
20200418_152335_HDR.jpg

ReefingFamily

"It's all about the colors"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool little project. Thanks for sharing this. I am curious do you find that these help with increasing your pod populations? I typically don't do anything for my pods other than macro algae in my refugium and live rock. I am thinking about making a few of these and trying them out.

Nick063

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this idea...do you occasionally shake them to get some pods into the dt? Or do they act for an extra breeding ground?

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these be good to keep in the fuge??
Definitely good to keep in the fuge. Had this setup a while back in my sump because I didn't think the chaeto was enough. Another idea is called a pod elevator where you would keep one in the tank and one in the display. Every week you alternate to replenish the supply of pods in your display. Not very sustainable but it's a good way to get a pod population going if your mandarin is eating all the pods before they can reproduce.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back