Cheap UV?

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone recommend any cheaper options of UV for a 140 gallon tank. Do those pond uv do the same thing for a reef tank or is there a difference.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what "cheap" is in your opinion but I have been running an Evolution Aqua 25w for a couple of years with good results on a 135 gallon tank.

White unit on the wall to the left of the tank.

They're dead cheap (well, £150) although I am unsure whether they are available in the US.

1000001778.jpg

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what "cheap" is in your opinion but I have been running an Evolution Aqua 25w for a couple of years with good results on a 135 gallon tank.

White unit on the wall to the left of the tank.

They're dead cheap although I am unsure whether they are available in the US.

1000001778.jpg

All your electronics are mounted right above the tank?

OP, all UVs work the same, quality of materials is different. I would use o recommend only high end UVs due to plastic degradation, however that happens with all units it seems and doesn’t appear to be a problem as far as the inhabitants are concerned.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your electronics are mounted right above the tank?

OP, all UVs work the same, quality of materials is different. I would use o recommend only high end UVs due to plastic degradation, however that happens with all units it seems and doesn’t appear to be a problem as far as the inhabitants are concerned.
Aye. They are. Is there a question in there? :p

Joking aside - with the tank 10 inches from the wall with a glass lid and sufficient ventilation ;) No issues there! We all gotta work with the space we have and find the best solutions considering the challenges that that presents, right?

No any difference from people with smaller tanks having all their electronics in the cabinet over the sump - better I'd argue as the relative humidity immediately over the tank sits at about 45-50% at any given time during the day.

Off topic, so let's not hi-jack OPs thread! Good response on the UV btw! :)

Last edited:

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depends on what youbplan to kill with your uv. Parasites, algae, etc.

When it comes to uv, I have never seen a real good low cost budget option. You get what you pay for in this department I think. The turbotwist was economical at one time, but not sure anymore, and it's not as good as the main stay brands that everyone has which give you more contact time and better bulbs

BTW I have smart uv and turbotwists that I use on different aquariums for reference.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought Jaebo and Aquatop (I think) brands…. they worked for less than 1 yr

I got 3ea Lifegard units; very high quality and with replacement parts available (very important)

IME heaters, return pumps and UV’s are not exactly units that skimping on the $ are worth it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back