OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great I heard the govener is starting phase two up Friday does that include you guys are you open or will you be I still wanna come by and check the place out
Thanks! And not yet. As part of FAU we are following the university’s regulations which means we will be closed to visitors until the beginning of August. But you definitely need to come by when we reopen! :D

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pictures to update everyone on how things are growing. Hope everyone is doing well!

E3161ACB-32FF-4B74-BB1C-4E7FE701D258.jpeg
3E06306D-33F3-4648-9A80-C4F47D335EC7.jpeg
58EB3CB8-BCF2-4C23-A9D6-931E69035FB9.jpeg
C80BC5AD-AAC7-48A9-8A79-916923305563.jpeg
DE8EBC21-E70E-4260-A50B-93418AC9B9FD.jpeg
4A9014C1-BC6B-4966-AAB4-A537725FE8B5.jpeg
3CB146D2-1D56-491E-A6C8-2550AA692458.jpeg
Absolutely amazing to see Florida Corals thriving in a glass box of water. I have lived in Florida my whole life. I love my state and I love that you guys are constantly working to keep our reefs going. Thank you for all the hard work. Thank you for sharing all these photos.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing to see Florida Corals thriving in a glass box of water. I have lived in Florida my whole life. I love my state and I love that you guys are constantly working to keep our reefs going. Thank you for all the hard work. Thank you for sharing all these photos.
Thank you so much! It means a lot! I am also a native Floridian so keeping this tank hits close to home for me (pun intended :p ). Our scientists do some really amazing work and I’m glad to be able to highlight it through my passion! If you are interested in learning a bit more about the tank then you should check out the build thread in my signature!

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, is there any way to get a small frag of Acropora palmata legally? What permit do I need to have? How do I get the permit? I have been intrested in thar coral since I was a little kid.

I really think that legalizing ownership of these corals is a good way to keep them from going extinct. Especially with the new round of white-band disease going around in the gulf right now.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a great thread, updated photos look amazing. Florida native here myself and it's great to see these guys thriving even in a tank.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, is there any way to get a small frag of Acropora palmata legally? What permit do I need to have? How do I get the permit? I have been intrested in thar coral since I was a little kid.

I really think that legalizing ownership of these corals is a good way to keep them from going extinct. Especially with the new round of white-band disease going around in the gulf right now.
Hi Ben, to my knowledge only research and educational facilities are allowed to keep this coral. I know there are several institutions that are aquaculturing this, and several other Florida corals for restoration purposes but personal aquariums cannot have palmata. It’s great to know that there are people out there that are as passionate about Caribbean species like we are at HBOI.

Such a great thread, updated photos look amazing. Florida native here myself and it's great to see these guys thriving even in a tank.
Thanks so much! Things are really getting into a groove. It’s really neat to be able to keep them in an aquarium. The Smithsonian Marine Station in Fort Pierce has an amazing Florida Reef tank with amazing staghorn.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ben, to my knowledge only research and educational facilities are allowed to keep this coral. I know there are several institutions that are aquaculturing this, and several other Florida corals for restoration purposes but personal aquariums cannot have palmata. It’s great to know that there are people out there that are as passionate about Caribbean species like we are at HBOI.

Thanks so much! Things are really getting into a groove. It’s really neat to be able to keep them in an aquarium. The Smithsonian Marine Station in Fort Pierce has an amazing Florida Reef tank with amazing staghorn.
We home school.... Does that count as an educational institute? :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back