Chiller questions

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my father is about to throw out an old Neslab CFT-25 chiller (link to the manual). I do not know much about chillers. I am slowly building up a 110g tank, and may decide to run a chiller in the summer; thanks to the Texas heat. However, I have not researched them much yet as that is an expense I have yet to divulge to the wife. ;)

I was hoping somebody could tell me whether this unit is even a viable option for an aquarium. I am having a tough time contacting the manufacturer about it. It seems that all Neslab chiller tech support is directed to thermo-scientific(do they own Neslab?). And nobody in their organization seems to be able to give me any info so far.

Page 13 in the manual has a list I will post in a picture below of water quality standards. Based on this, I do not think it is okay to run saltwater through the unit. Alas, all I know is that it is old and was used to cool a laser cavity that performed lasik surgery which means its got FDA certificates out the wazoo. It runs on R-134a refrigerant and I believe it is intended to be a closed loop system. It ran fluid through its heat exchanger and then through the laser cavity to cool heat generated by the laser as it operated. Not sure such a device has a place in an aquarium setting, but figured I would start asking around before he tossed it out.

If nobody has any idea, I am still trying to contact technical support on it. But the run around may take a few weeks it seems. Thanks for having a think on it with me though!

IMG-2508.jpg FluidsCFT25.PNG

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most typical aquariums do not need chillers. What temp do you keep your house during summer/winter? Are you running 400W MH's?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back