chloramine testing/treatment

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My city uses chloramines in sanitation so today I used my pool kit (Lamotte colorq) to test the TAP water from my house.

Results: mg/L or ppm
Total Cl= 1.94
Free Cl= 0.91

If I subtract the two I get 1.03mg/L which I assume is my Chloramine concentration?

According to the CDC, normal disinfectant chloramine concentrations are from 1-4 mg/L
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...infection.html

I tested my R/O the same way and got a chloramine concentration of 0.06mg/L. What is a safe level for fish/corals in R/O? Also, I'm concerned about the limits of my test kit since it loses accuracy below 1mg/L

I use 2 carbons back-to-back and one is a catalytic carbon filter. The filters are about 6 months old and I use (including waste/rejection water) about 500gal per month.

Can anyone recommend a more accurate test kit for free and total Cl- that doesnt cost thousands of dollars?

I've noticed an extensive review from Bulk Reef Supply on youtube reviewing the effectiveness of carbon filters on Chloramines.

Has anyone else looked into this?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Hanna Checkers to see whether they meet your accuracy needs and price point. For RO water testing, you might get away with just testing for total chlorine, your worse case scenario.

I don’t know what a “safe” limit is for chloramine or chlorine, but keep in mind you are diluting it quite a bit when you add RO or new salt water made with it. Also, organics in the aquarium are going to very effectively reduce chloramine and chlorine.

Have you considered buying new carbon and monitor its lifetime in your situation?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My city uses chloramines in sanitation so today I used my pool kit (Lamotte colorq) to test the TAP water from my house.

Results: mg/L or ppm
Total Cl= 1.94
Free Cl= 0.91

If I subtract the two I get 1.03mg/L which I assume is my Chloramine concentration?

According to the CDC, normal disinfectant chloramine concentrations are from 1-4 mg/L
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...infection.html

I tested my R/O the same way and got a chloramine concentration of 0.06mg/L. What is a safe level for fish/corals in R/O? Also, I'm concerned about the limits of my test kit since it loses accuracy below 1mg/L

I use 2 carbons back-to-back and one is a catalytic carbon filter. The filters are about 6 months old and I use (including waste/rejection water) about 500gal per month.

Can anyone recommend a more accurate test kit for free and total Cl- that doesnt cost thousands of dollars?

I've noticed an extensive review from Bulk Reef Supply on youtube reviewing the effectiveness of carbon filters on Chloramines.

Has anyone else looked into this?
That's correct.

TC-FAC= CC (chloramine)

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kit like this is very accurate. I'm guessing you could probably buy the comparator separate as well as the refills for the chlorine portion of the test and not buy the whole kit.

This kit is what the health department requires for use for our health clubs and public pools

Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002IXIJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D1-oCbT3GHZ00

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back