OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I've updated. I passed on the RP-M powerhead. I tried it, but it was too powerful for my tank and absolutely blasted everything. Instead I opted for a CoralBox QP-5+. About the same as my RW4 flow wise but superior build quality and functionality. Right now I have the RW on long pulse and QP on constant and it gives some nice varied flow and the corals have really responded well.

I also changed out my T5 bulbs. Been running 2 Guiesman super actinic and 2 KZ blues, but color has faded significantly. Lesson learned...you need whites too to bring out the color in corals. So...I went back to ATI, better quality bulbs anyway. Swapped for 2 Blue+, Coral+ and Purple+. Honestly I love the color of the tank, and corals have already started kicking back color.

I have attached some more pics. Colors are pretty close to in person. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
20200202_125911.jpg

20200202_130016.jpg

20200202_130023.jpg

20200202_130035.jpg

20200202_130105.jpg

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I've updated. I passed on the RP-M powerhead. I tried it, but it was too powerful for my tank and absolutely blasted everything. Instead I opted for a CoralBox QP-5+. About the same as my RW4 flow wise but superior build quality and functionality. Right now I have the RW on long pulse and QP on constant and it gives some nice varied flow and the corals have really responded well.

I also changed out my T5 bulbs. Been running 2 Guiesman super actinic and 2 KZ blues, but color has faded significantly. Lesson learned...you need whites too to bring out the color in corals. So...I went back to ATI, better quality bulbs anyway. Swapped for 2 Blue+, Coral+ and Purple+. Honestly I love the color of the tank, and corals have already started kicking back color.

I have attached some more pics. Colors are pretty close to in person. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!
How far above your tank is your t5 fixture?

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lights abiut 10" above the water. I had then about 6" at one point but it was too much for the LPS and softies.
I just bought a fixture for my 25 lagoon and have it sitting 6" now. It does seem close but some of my softies in my old tank grew right up under the t5s so I think they'll be ok but it's my euphyllias I'm worried about. They seem to bleach easily.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a fixture for my 25 lagoon and have it sitting 6" now. It does seem close but some of my softies in my old tank grew right up under the t5s so I think they'll be ok but it's my euphyllias I'm worried about. They seem to bleach easily.
I would raise the light personally. Like you said euphillias dont like to be blasted. Easier to lower light then get them to color up after bleaching. That's the exact issue I'm dealing with currently

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking tank. Keep it up!

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as promised some pics of the tank. No FTS. Some corals not super happy end of day for whatever reason, so I'll post more tomorrow. But here are some to get started.
20200429_185221.jpg

Excuse the cyano...I'm working on it lol.
20200429_185551.jpg

20200429_185713.jpg

Hungry Favia!
20200429_185258.jpg

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much new with the tank. Things have been growing in nicely and coloring up a bit.

Finger leather has grown to be a beast. Same with the sinularia which is reaching for new rocks to grow. Favia is growing slowly and covering the old lost tissue from the crash a year or so ago. Hammer and sunset monti are still lacking color, but growing. Hopefully the color returns with time

Most of my algae is gone. I have been doing Vibrant for the last few months per dosing recommendations and it's done great. I still get small bouts of cyano after each dose, but I chalk that up to algae die off and excess nutrients that are still being cleaned up. Bubble algae is gone as well. I added a couple emeralds which devoured what little I had left and I believe, like with the other algae, Vibrant is keeping it at bay.

I just scraped the glass, basted the rocks and sand and changed the filter floss. Everyone is looking happy at the moment.
20200628_121717.jpg
20200628_121815.jpg
20200628_121900.jpg
20200628_121746.jpg
20200628_121832.jpg
20200628_121920.jpg
20200628_121944.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very attractive softy dominated tank. The finger leather is great!!! Overall the tank looks so clean. Still T5? Love the look.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing well. Did some testing last night and made sure all my levels were in check.

I add kalk to my ATO and it holds things nice and steady for me.

I also added an Inkbird controller for my heater. It has a cooling outlet as well. Now my tank stays a nice steady 78-79 without me every having to turn the fan on or off.

Also, with the help of a few emeralds, snails and Vibrant, I am now algae free in my display and finally seeing coraline growth on most if my rocks.

Overall doing well.

20200628_121719(0).jpg

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those leathers look happy! I have some sort of neon green leather - I think Sinularia that has been closed for a couple weeks now. I was thinking too much light maybe, but the color is just fantastic. Too much light would pale them out, no?

Anyhow, great looking tank!

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those leathers look happy! I have some sort of neon green leather - I think Sinularia that has been closed for a couple weeks now. I was thinking too much light maybe, but the color is just fantastic. Too much light would pale them out, no?

Anyhow, great looking tank!
Thanks for the compliment!

Too much light will definitely bleach them out. I have made the mistake before and lost color on 90% of my corals and it's taken a year to get most of the color back, but some are still lacking.

I have gotten the best results with medium light and relatively high flow. Not direct flow, but good varied flow that keeps them swaying. too high or direct flow isnt good for any corals, and too low will make them mad becuase it's harder for them to get rid of their metabolic waste.

Sinularia can be finicky from what I have read, though I have never had an issue with mine...maybe just lucky? I would try moving it and let it sit for a week or so before moving again to look for that sweet spot.

Do you have a pic? Let me know how it goes.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Tank looks great! Like those Zoas, do they have a name?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of the crazy names either. Although it helps when I see something I like and want to find it for my tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back