Choosing the right lights for a 300DD

Justjim

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a 300DD and I’m looking to replace my Chinese leds finally. I’ve always had good growth, but lately my zoas are reaching. Can someone recommend a good light that can cover a wider tank all the way to the bottom. I want to be able to keep a clan anywhere in my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

View Badges
Reaction score
I think you will want to use 2+ pucked LED's if the tank is what I think (72x36x27). The 4 pucked AI lights would probably be good for that. I would also consider an LED t-5 hybrid with a red sea or AI LED to increase your spread.

Earn WWC Rewards Points

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As you know, lighting 36" deep tanks is no joke.

You are gonna need two rows of most LEDs. 10-12 bulb T5 could be good - like a pair of 6 bulb ATIs. A trio of Halides on larger reflectors can work too.

I am not a fan of hybrids since I think that you are getting the "worst of both worlds" and like to be all-in on one thing or another, but many of the "best of both worlds" people would might consider flanking a single row of LED with 4x T5 bulbs on the front and back.

In any case, i would count on 600-1200 watts, or more, but large tanks are not cheap to light... but I imagine that you knew this going in.

SaltwaterAquarium.com Black Friday Deals