Choosing the right lights for a 300DD

Justjim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300DD and I’m looking to replace my Chinese leds finally. I’ve always had good growth, but lately my zoas are reaching. Can someone recommend a good light that can cover a wider tank all the way to the bottom. I want to be able to keep a clan anywhere in my tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will want to use 2+ pucked LED's if the tank is what I think (72x36x27). The 4 pucked AI lights would probably be good for that. I would also consider an LED t-5 hybrid with a red sea or AI LED to increase your spread.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your budget. You looking at leds, halides, t5, or hybrids?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, lighting 36" deep tanks is no joke.

You are gonna need two rows of most LEDs. 10-12 bulb T5 could be good - like a pair of 6 bulb ATIs. A trio of Halides on larger reflectors can work too.

I am not a fan of hybrids since I think that you are getting the "worst of both worlds" and like to be all-in on one thing or another, but many of the "best of both worlds" people would might consider flanking a single row of LED with 4x T5 bulbs on the front and back.

In any case, i would count on 600-1200 watts, or more, but large tanks are not cheap to light... but I imagine that you knew this going in.

AQUANATURE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this up as I’m thinking of my options

My tank is 12 x 2.5 x 2.5, I was tossing up the idea of an all T5/HO set up, using an Hydro grow lights 8 tubes x 54w 3 banks of 4ft lights, would that be OK for 30 inch deep tank.

Now I don’t care about shimmer, actually I dislike it, nor do I care about thunder and lighting as some of these LED do. I just want the right par and the right tone.

I aware of the cost of changing Tubes at $30 AUD a piece.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 7 x 3 x 2 and I use six radion pros (two row of three) and a couple kessil pendants filling in the middle where I wanted greater punch. It works well, and everything is growing very well. I'd totally recommend all-in on LED with two rows of good fixtures. You won't be sorry.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gal deep dimension and run radion / t-5 combo with great success. My 48" tank has 4 t-5's, one xr 30 pro plus 2 xr'15's pros. The 15's run together so equivalent to one xr-30. Its what i had to use from my frag tank. I have run halides, vho, t-5's, led only in the past. From my experience, the combo of 5's and led's overall is hands down the best. If it wasnt for heat and power issues, id say hallides and t'5's best for growth but that gains not worth the negatives (excessive heat, power, fans, fire risk, extra cords, changing bulbs) over the t-5 combo.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t NOT recommend 3-400 watt halides in large lumen bright reflectors. But if that’s too old school, then 4 of the 3’ reef breeders units.

OP
OP
J

Justjim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a Radion G4 Xr30w pro over one of the panels and it isn’t quite enough. I run it on 100% and it’s equal to to Chinese black boxes. For that price I expected way more. Any custom builders worth looking into? eBay has so many 20”x20”. That seems like the perfect dimension.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When u say its equal to blackbox chinese lights. What do you mean? What par measurements are you seeing compared to black box?

OP
OP
J

Justjim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When u say its equal to blackbox chinese lights. What do you mean? What par measurements are you seeing compared to black box?

I used an apogee par meter and got 1105 off my Chinese black box at the top and around 1250 from the same distance of the radion. The radion has a much better spread, but not better than two of the Chinese boxes side by side. I didn’t compare electricity consumption of the one radion vs the two black boxes. I’m stating my disappointment of the radion considering the price point. I’m looking to cover a wider area which makes leds in general a tough push I’m thinking and might make a return to halides after being away for a very long time.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look into the Orpheks. They cover a much larger spread? But so will a halide..... :)

corey

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what your tank dimensions are....but the puck setups will require for you to have several fixtures for that tank depending on what brand you get. It is what it is.

What are your tank deminsions? Which black box fixtures do you have? How many and what is the spectrum setup? How old are they? How many hours you run them per day? How far are they off the water? What are par levels at mid and bottom of aquariu?

The spectrum and coral color is going to vary between brands and not to mention longevity. You get what you pay for with led tolerances, etc, power supplies .....

Zoas dont require much par so im really confused as to what is going on with your setup. Hopefully your answers will help. With that par at surface you should have plenty at bottom for zoas.

You cant go wrong with t5 or mh. If you dont want to buy multiple led fixtures then that is what i would do.

OP
OP
J

Justjim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 400 watt or 250? I used to run 250w over a 210g sps tank with no issues. Not sure if 400 is necessary?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250 should be fine the tank is only 27" deep.
Double check on bulb supply, some say they are getting difficult to get.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back