Chop shops naming coral, Your opinions?

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Names are placed in corals simply to raise prices with HYPE.there are a few vendors I will not buy from because they always hype and name everything.most of these so called named corals are newly purchased mariculture corals that have ZERO track record in captivity.they are always fresh cut and never even encrusted to the plugs.these corals have little long term survivability and are not worth the price.I hate the hype and prices,asking $80-120+ for a nonencrusted frag off a maricultured colony is ridiculous and a rip off.IMO these vendors will price themselves out of the industry in time and people will see through the HYPE in the long term.I buy coral for the look not the name or price.i never sell frags for what I paid for them,I have sold frags from my red planet for $20-30 depending on size even though I paid $60 for 1".but selling frags for these absurd prices and naming every coral they get will ultimately lead to the vendors demise in the long
run.when does a coral stop being a LE?when the coral has saturated the market and the coral is no longer limited.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason why I like naming is because sometime I'll miss out on the frag that the vendor has sold. Perhaps 6-9 months down the road when a hobbyist puts up for sale a frag of the "named coral" he bought that I missed out on I know now that I'm getting what I missed out on.

Bad part, I know a few people that will piggy back on a named coral because the resale value is higher. For me personally, I want the exact one I want, not something that is similar or could be the same, or whoever thinks is the same. When I want a specific coral or morph, thats the one I want.

grouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason why I like naming is because sometime I'll miss out on the frag that the vendor has sold. Perhaps 6-9 months down the road when a hobbyist puts up for sale a frag of the "named coral" he bought that I missed out on I know now that I'm getting what I missed out on.

Bad part, I know a few people that will piggy back on a named coral because the resale value is higher. For me personally, I want the exact one I want, not something that is similar or could be the same, or whoever thinks is the same. When I want a specific coral or morph, thats the one I want.

sad part is Ya see a lot of the bad these days often shops that import direct from indo piggy back on the names of registerd named corals
in addition some just throw a name on a coral -- zoas ,palys & acans to make it more profitable without the regristration process openinging the door for every skum bag out thereto piggyback off names that have no possibility to prove validity

so just like the internet & its scams the market has become quite buyer beware & names have been the profit veichle
that have enabled this & the trend for reefing to be a profit hobby as opposed to a fun hobby for many

now on the other side of the coin registerd names provide a concreat method of identifying refrences to prove or disprove a specific coral species & offer better oppertunitys to track rairty & value of a specific coral however the system is only valid
within the realm of reasonable honesty just as it would be with say dog pedigrees where a breeder can falsify the doccument

now as to chop shops i guess thay have there place , there is now doubt an abundance frags in the market allows & helps folks to
participate in the hobby who may be excluded otherwise

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't bother me as long as they don't use the name as a vehicle to jack up the price.

One vendor in particular names stuff but only charges $10 a frag. That's fine in my book.

Another vendor is obviously chopping up colonies and naming them, however they charge and arm and a leg. They do not get my business.

I can't keep track of all the names anyway so that gets lost with me when I am ready to frag.

One thing that bothers me when they name a coral and call it a Tyree LE evaluation coral and charge a ridiculous price. All LE evaluation means is that you sent the guy a free frag.

mcmillion050804

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it I could care less if it is named or not. I buy corals based on what I like no matter if it has a name or not. If I like it, I buy it that is all that matters to me. JMO.

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that bothers me when they name a coral and call it a Tyree LE evaluation coral and charge a ridiculous price. All LE evaluation means is that you sent the guy a free frag.

this is one that gets me going as well,i know a vendor that does that and they wont EVER see a penny from me.they call it "future tyree LE" tell you that you can own it for a limited time for the low low price of only $95.50,only 4 frags available and after it gets approved this coral will be sold for $150 so buy it now lol..............all BS HYPE....you ask for a pic of their "MOTHER COLONY" and they either skirt the subject or ignore your question.why wont you show the mother colony?is it because its just a mariculture colony and you fear the customer will see that and figure it out?thats what i say.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one that gets me going as well,i know a vendor that does that and they wont EVER see a penny from me.they call it "future tyree LE" tell you that you can own it for a limited time for the low low price of only $95.50,only 4 frags available and after it gets approved this coral will be sold for $150 so buy it now lol..............all BS HYPE....you ask for a pic of their "MOTHER COLONY" and they either skirt the subject or ignore your question.why wont you show the mother colony?is it because its just a mariculture colony and you fear the customer will see that and figure it out?thats what i say.

+1 - I always wondered if that drove anyone else insane, you wonder why their live sales flop. Notice they always have the same people bumping their posts.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I personally don't care for the tyree trip myself... I have mentioned it a few times... Nothing against steve I think people gave him a bad rap haha... Sorry if that offends anyone just being honest.... I buy it if I like it tyree it not.... The tyree pieces I own are old school and I really love them I wish today's tyree's were of the same caliber....

lowbudget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same reason for me

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few good points that I see for sure!This is my take on the whole thing.

I think that chop shops have no rights to name the coral at all. In my opinion its a marketing scam that fails us as buyers. I say this for a these reasons.

When the store imports or buys the colony, we know they arent going to sit on it before fragging or selling, its brought in the store, sits for a day or two, and its chopped up or sold. There is no adjustment time to captivity at all. When they take and chop it up, that increases the level of distress on the coral, causing us, the buyer of the frags, to generally lose our piece since in a 3-5 day period, the coral has been shipped in, cut, and then transfered from about 3 diffirent water sources.

For that resoning, I feel that chop shops have no need to name a coral. If all that is going to happen is a $13.99 frag dieing in the end, why worry about the name that is stamped on the coral. There is a good chance that its going to die becuase of the lack of acclimation to the new systems.

On the other hand, I feel that named corals have their place in this hobby, but they dont have their place in a chop shop. When we look at places like Tyree, ORA, etc. we know we are buying a 100% aquacultuerd piece, or prettty close to it with Tyree's pieces. These pieces have a base to them, what I mean by that is, there is still the original piece/colony. By having that piece or colony left, we can insure a constant flow of corals from the base as long as it is healthy and grows well. That is a coral that needs to be named since there is a history behind it, or a linage to it. We cant insure any of that with Chop Shops. The corals literally disapear IMO from the hobby when they are sold through chop shops. Its in and out to never be seen again. This also helps us distribute the frags of the corals much faster.

I mean this in no bad way at all, but when we buy from chop shops, we are looking for cheap corals, not Tyree,ORA,etc. to me, there is no reason that we can compare them to the level that some have. A chop shop moves mass quantity,Tyree,ORA,etc.,move quality.

Not sure if that makes full or total since to all, but I hope it does.

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the problem in general with chop shops is they use the terms like"LE,tyree,ORA,or farm raised"to dupe buyers into paying higher prices for unproven corals that look pretty in the pics.but you can photoshop a shiny turd and make it look good in the short term.how does that turds color hold up long term?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the problem in general with chop shops is they use the terms like"LE,tyree,ORA,or farm raised"to dupe buyers into paying higher prices for unproven corals that look pretty in the pics.but you can photoshop a shiny turd and make it look good in the short term.how does that turds color hold up long term?
Well you obviously know better.... Hopefully the newbs do a little research and get the info they need to know by reading threads like this... It sucks to see people being took but it don't happen that much any more at least I don't think...

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you obviously know better.... Hopefully the newbs do a little research and get the info they need to know by reading threads like this... It sucks to see people being took but it don't happen that much any more at least I don't think...

It still happens a bit,just on a smaller level with the older school pieces,superman,undata,etc. more of the pieces that are so common in the wild...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but buyers should always do research you don't just go buy any old tv correct????
I mean there is 2 sides to this a $10 coral does it matter on a name if it's named or not??? Not in my book if it's nice I'm buying it regardless... Now a $500 frag with a name I want a little back ground... Do your research I can't stress this enough.... Pretty simple like I stated before buy from reputable vendors and or people...;)

hlem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if some are actual ORA colonies that got chopped up?

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if some are actual ORA colonies that got chopped up?

That is different since the ORA corals ARE proven to hold color and grow in aquarium settings.but there are people who will throw around the ORA name on a look alike coral just to sell frags.this is when it becomes a problem.

chipcount

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is different since the ORA corals ARE proven to hold color and grow in aquarium settings.but there are people who will throw around the ORA name on a look alike coral just to sell frags.this is when it becomes a problem.
But I think what you are talking about is deception all together, not whether a coral should be named or not...

SPS Addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind the names but I just wish these chop shops would hold onto the colony for a while to let it acclimate to our aquarium conditions or have the frags fully encrusted and healthy prior to selling them. I'm curious what percentage of these fresh cut frags that are purchased actually survive? Or how about keep their original color? At least with Tyree or ORA I know that the coral will keep that certain color after acclimating to the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back