Chop shops

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geeze the amount of chop shops on here and throughout the industry is unbelievable. I would like to find sizable frag‘s that are already encrusted, but that apparently is unobtainable online.

But thats my small rant. Where are y’all buying acro frags from?

I would like to find some mini colonies for sale, but they are usually at ridiculous prices. I’m really just looking for basic Acros and not a bunch of named corals.

My LFS, local hobbyists and frag swaps have been my best bet. Are all online sources about the same?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im the opposite mostly. I enjoy the smaller cheaper frags and to see them encrust and grow is really rewarding.

Chopping up a $500 coral into 20 x $50 coral is good for both the business and the customer.

My lfs always has some really decent sized colonies as well as frags all for 1/4 the price you see online.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geeze the amount of chop shops on here and throughout the industry is unbelievable. I would like to find sizable frag‘s that are already encrusted, but that apparently is unobtainable online.

But thats my small rant. Where are y’all buying acro frags from?

I would like to find some mini colonies for sale, but they are usually at ridiculous prices. I’m really just looking for basic Acros and not a bunch of named corals.

My LFS, local hobbyists and frag swaps have been my best bet. Are all online sources about the same?
Best bet will always be local fellow reefers for bargains. Adam @Battlecorals has his bargain bin going right now, people have been pretty stoked about what they have been getting. Not going to be all acros though. But you can reach out to him and see what kind of deals you can get through his battle boxes. He is a good dude and will work with you.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im the opposite mostly. I enjoy the smaller cheaper frags and to see them encrust and grow is really rewarding.

Chopping up a $500 coral into 20 x $50 coral is good for both the business and the customer.

My lfs always has some really decent sized colonies as well as frags all for 1/4 the price you see online.
I agree on the grow out part, once there big and huge I sell them off cheap or give away and get something new, its one of my favorite parts.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have acros, but corals.com sells larger colonies of just about everything. I believe I’ve seen larger acro colonies on there site. Ive ordered from them and they are great. Good luck.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the rising, exorbitant and sometimes terrifying costs of coral these days it can be tough to really fill up and enjoy your tank if you haven't got a lot of "disposable income". Believe me I know the feeling. and as an antidote, a number of years ago I did a limited run of "bargin bin packs", and it was major hit. People loved these cheap frags! I still get asked when and if I am ever going to do that again. Well the answer is a resounding yes! Effective immediately. I have added a bargain bin pack to the site!

Now is this just a kind of dumping ground for all the stuff I can't sell otherwise. Well yeah. I mean sort of. That's what the bargain bin essentially is. But make no mistake, I don't really have the time or space for junkers, so anyway you look at these packs, they are a steal! All captive grown sps from every facet of my collection. more details on the site!

Untitled design-23.png

Amy info on this? I didn't see anything on Adam's site.
EDIT : disregard I found it using a Google search. Now do I really need more frags :thinking-face:

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have acros, but corals.com sells larger colonies of just about everything. I believe I’ve seen larger acro colonies on there site. Ive ordered from them and they are great. Good luck.
Yes, I saw this last night while doing a major Google search. His chunks seem very nice.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I get that the part I cannot stand is you get a quarter inch little frag from a company that just cut it and just glued it to a frag plug and thinks they deserve $80-$100. To me that is very frustrating. I would pay $80-$100 for a nice size frag that has encrusted and it looks good.

The last time I got frag’s that were not encrusted and only a half an inch to an inch they just slowly withered away in my tank. But every time I add a large chunk or a mini colony to my tank they flourish just fine.

I definitely don’t mind the grow out part I just don’t wanna take a chance spending some of these crazy prices on tiny Frags that were just cut.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I get that the part I cannot stand is you get a quarter inch little frag from a company that just cut it and just glued it to a frag plug and thinks they deserve $80-$100. To me that is very frustrating. I would pay $80-$100 for a nice size frag that has encrusted and it looks good.

The last time I got frag’s that were not encrusted and only a half an inch to an inch they just slowly withered away in my tank. But every time I add a large chunk or a mini colony to my tank they flourish just fine.

I definitely don’t mind the grow out part I just don’t wanna take a chance spending some of these crazy prices on tiny Frags that were just cut.
I hear you, this is suppose to be a relaxing hobby and stressing over a 200.00 frag that might just slowly wither away is not relaxing to me lol

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, this is suppose to be a relaxing hobby and stressing over a 200.00 frag that might just slowly wither away is not relaxing to me lol
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet will always be local fellow reefers for bargains. Adam @Battlecorals has his bargain bin going right now, people have been pretty stoked about what they have been getting. Not going to be all acros though. But you can reach out to him and see what kind of deals you can get through his battle boxes. He is a good dude and will work with you.
Im sure he has nice stuff but $200 for a 1” frag. :astonished-face: Im not his clientele.:confused-face:

I saw pics of his bargain bin packs and its exactly what I im talking about.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For real. I am literally never going to spend that on a frag. Most of my frags were $10 to $25. I don't care about having name brand frags I just buy what I like. Hell, i have a few name brand frags i cant even remember the name of. Fortunately the stores near me have a large selection of reasonably priced frags. My most expensive piece was $50 for a bicolor frogspawn with 3 heads (4 now) and my wife had to talk me into going ahead and spending that much on one piece. Especially in a young tank. Sure I drool over $200-300 for a bleeding apple or warpaint scoly...maybe one day. But that much for a 1" fresh cut frag is just crazy.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chop chop chop! My first high dollar coral was a WD. Pencil eraser nub from a great colony for $150.
I have grown it to this in 3 years time after dropping it when I took down my 120.

The problem, imo, with fragging small wild/maricultured colonies is most dont wait long enough. Within a week or 2 its 20+ frags.
Waiting a few months makes a huge difference.

My WD is now starting to grow into a nice looking colony on its 3" disc.
Looks real good under blue but grows real well running ab+ on my xr15's at 100%/100%.
20230511_092848.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back