Chop shops naming coral, Your opinions?

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind the names but I just wish these chop shops would hold onto the colony for a while to let it acclimate to our aquarium conditions or have the frags fully encrusted and healthy prior to selling them. I'm curious what percentage of these fresh cut frags that are purchased actually survive? Or how about keep their original color? At least with Tyree or ORA I know that the coral will keep that certain color after acclimating to the tank.

Exactly,get the colony and hold onto it for 8-12 months and see if it holds color.make a few frags during that time and see if they survive.don't just buy the colony and chop it up and sell it.anyone can cut up a colony and dump it off,true LE pieces need to be captive for a while and hold color and grow.I can go to my LFS and buy a coral that most don't have,call it cmcneils LE super blue milli and frag it and sell it.it doesn't make it a LE and it certainly doesn't mean it will hold color and grow.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy comparing tvs to corals in crazy.

Tvs have been around for hundreds of years and they dont make them in different colors, they dont grow, they dont die.

Np forums help newbs with this, cause it hurts vendors. How come there are no forums about this stuff

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really so tv's have beens around since the 1800"s?they came around in the early 1930's so they havent been around hundreds of years,more like 80 years max.
FWIW, the first "television" was invented in 1884, although this was far from the technology we have come to refer to as a television. What we would commonly call a TV was first commercially available in the late 1920s.

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the first "television" was invented in 1884, although this was far from the technology we have come to refer to as a television. What we would commonly call a TV was first commercially available in the late 1920s.

thanks for the history ;) i wasnt aware of the 1884,but knew they werent commercialy available till the late20's early 30's

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Courtesy of Wikipedia! :tongue:

chipcount

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly,get the colony and hold onto it for 8-12 months and see if it holds color.make a few frags during that time and see if they survive.don't just buy the colony and chop it up and sell it.anyone can cut up a colony and dump it off,true LE pieces need to be captive for a while and hold color and grow.I can go to my LFS and buy a coral that most don't have,call it cmcneils LE super blue milli and frag it and sell it.it doesn't make it a LE and it certainly doesn't mean it will hold color and grow.
Although almost every buyer would love this idea of a store holding a coral for 8-12 months to see if it holds color, you should expect to add an extra 0 to the end of the price of the frag then. Holding a coral for that long will take up space and time (which = money) and I dont think many stores can run like that. And even if the shop decided to do that, now the price is way too high and people will complain about that....a catch 22

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don mind the names at all. I actually like them. Now what bothers me is when people use the full name of a popular piece to sell for more money. I have a superman chalice. No it is not from the original superman colony. It does have the exact colors of a superman. If I cut it would I sell it has the original superman NO but I would list it as a superman knockoff.

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although almost every buyer would love this idea of a store holding a coral for 8-12 months to see if it holds color, you should expect to add an extra 0 to the end of the price of the frag then. Holding a coral for that long will take up space and time (which = money) and I dont think many stores can run like that. And even if the shop decided to do that, now the price is way too high and people will complain about that....a catch 22

i understand that,but why not just call it a blue milli or blue tenuis?no need to throw a fancy name on it to TRY and sell it for more.calling it "joe blows ultimate LE blue milli" doesnt mean it will hold color or survive long term.its just a fancy name to try and jack the price up period.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was making a point. They are not a living creature.

It is nature and scientifically they are all zoas or palys. No names no marketimg what ever color nature wants them to be. Business now interfears with science because it has turned into for every new coral in a different color someome has a catchy or cool name that helps them to market a live animal.

Fortunately we really dont see this in fish because they have defined scientific names. Except for designer clowns which disgust me. We use genetics to produce what we want instead of using it to breed the healthiest fish.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately we really dont see this in fish because they have defined scientific names. Except for designer clowns which disgust me. We use genetics to produce what we want instead of using it to breed the healthiest fish.

We also use genetics to produce what we want to eat instead of using it to breed the healthiest animals.

Back