OP
RamsReef

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Grey, the clam is new in spot. Is it okay for it not to be opened up fully yet. Foot hasnt attached.

The mantel is nice and extended.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fortunate enough in my youth to have had the opportunity to see tridacna clams living off the cost of Manly, AU. I'm not at all certain that it would be possible to have 'too much' flow, in comparison to their natural environment.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Greybeard, Were the clams in the wild oriented mostly the same way? I have always wondered which way to orient my clam in the flow.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. This was many years ago, and it wasn't like I stumbled upon a big garden of clams all in rows... just noted several hippopos and gigas clams in and among the reef. There may have been other, smaller ones around, but the big ones were hard to miss. Shallow water, 6-15', turbulent... lots of water movement, but not necessarily in any particular direction. I didn't really note any particular orientation, aside from 'sunny side up'... :)

I wouldn't worry too much about orienting your clams... They're more mobile than folks think. They'll manage to get themselves oriented, sometimes much to our frustration, as we try to 'arrange' our aquariums.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back