Clam Moved and Left Byssal Threads

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I woke up in the middle of the night and was checking on the tank and my crocea clam had moved about a inch. For some reason, it released the clam rock it was on and just moved onto the direct rockwork. On the clam rock, the byssal threads were visible. I tried gently nudging it and it had already laid down new threads. Is this normal, particularly for the threads to be left attached when it moved, or is it in danger of having it's health affected. I've always heard that you don't want to tear their threads, but wasn't sure why it moved. There is no change in flow or light where it moved to, it just adjusted to a slightly different angle and closer to the rock since the clam rock was sitting slightly higher than where it moved to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I woke up in the middle of the night and was checking on the tank and my crocea clam had moved about a inch. For some reason, it released the clam rock it was on and just moved onto the direct rockwork. On the clam rock, the byssal threads were visible. I tried gently nudging it and it had already laid down new threads. Is this normal, particularly for the threads to be left attached when it moved, or is it in danger of having it's health affected. I've always heard that you don't want to tear their threads, but wasn't sure why it moved. There is no change in flow or light where it moved to, it just adjusted to a slightly different angle and closer to the rock since the clam rock was sitting slightly higher than where it moved to.
Mine has moved once and left threads.

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks! Good to know. It freaked me out, I think he just wanted to be slightly lower in the rockwork vs on the clam rock that it came on ontop of the rock work. It lowers it about an inch. It was in higher flow since I want it in the upper rockwork for par, but I've been monitoring it and it's mantle still opens.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back