clam question

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked up this clam and im not sure what kind it is. It kind of looks like a squimosa but it has an outline of blue around the mantle.Pic isnt that great but hopefully can be identified
Also im being stupid here but what does the clam need light for. Living on the ocean all my life I have never heard this
Thanks in advance

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Tridacna derasa. Easiest way to tell them from other species is the very smooth shell that derasas have; no scutes sticking out. Also the mantle tissue is usually brownish/golden in color with a blue rim, as with yours.

All tridacnas need good light although the derasa needs the least of the various species. Tridacna clams need light because, like corals, they have millions of zooxanthellae algae embedded in their tissue. The algae produce excess sugars and other nutrients which the tridacnas then live on. Tridacnas are filter feeders too but studies have shown that they can almost get by on just what the algae provide, if there's enough light.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back