Clam Questions

FishAreCool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about a crocea or maxima clam for my 16 gallon biocube when my tank is established. I have some questions.

1) Which is easier to care for?
2) Could I even be able to put one in my biocube?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if your tank is at least one year old and parameters stable with strong light. I have tried several times but the longest I was able to keep one alive was close to 2 years. I give up on them, even though I have been reefing for 7 years I am just not experienced enough to keep them alive for very long. The last one I had grew several inches but it just died one day. It broke my heart to see my pet die after 2 years. Good luck if you try one and learn all you can on their requirements and more.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the need for stability, and light. Maxima on the reef can be in 2 feet of water at low tide.

Also if you get a small one it will need feeding

Also if it is growing it will need Calcium and Mag stable either through regular water changes (easier for a small tank) or via supplements

OP
OP
FishAreCool

FishAreCool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also might get a coco worm for my tank when it is established. Will a clam take food away from it to the point its not getting enough food?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not spot feed clams or coco worms. Broadcast feeding is best, use a turkey baster type tool and spread the food to form a cloud near the clam with return pump off and wave makers on so the food will circulate throughout the tank. The clam will intake the food and water, the worm will catch particles with it's feathers.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could spot feed a worm with very small particles of food, but doing so with a clam is not good for it from what I have learned.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Croceas are the smallest of the tridacnas in home aquaria, so it'll need the most stable parameters and the strongest lighting out of all of them. You could hypothetically keep both in an aquarium, so long as it can harbor at least 12 inches worth of clam if the maxima were to reach its maximum size. Croceas are half the maxima, reaching a max size of 6 inches in length, but that just makes them harder to keep.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I don't think its the right question, "which is easier to care for?".

The best method is to research what is needed to keep the clam alive, what it is the difference between the different clams? And then decide which is better suited for your tank, if any. Or you build/reorganize your tank according to the animal's specific needs.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you keep a clam with the standard LED lights that come with the biocube?
No. Get a small Kessil A 160WE Tuna Sun or there was another type, more of a spot or Narrow Focus and not "WE" Wide Angle. That should do it, or something similar.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back