Clam siphon flat

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 30, 2016
Messages
67
Reaction score
18
Location
Hampton Roads Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife got me a Derasa clam for my birthday last March. She meant well, but I have a bare bottom tank so I was a little nervous. It was attached and sitting well on an oyster shell. About 6 months ago, it detached and it ripped its byssal threads. It was on the bare bottom for awhile but would not attach. and continually kicked itself around. I tried the Clam Hammock from BRS to no avail.

I recently (two weeks) filled a plastic bin with some live sand and rock and placed the clam in it. Since then, I can see it's foot/threads starting to grow and acclimate to its new "home". It seems happy, not moving, opening and closing as it should and opening wide. However, its mouth tends to gape and it's siphon which used to look rather volcano like (as it should) has basically flattened out into just a hole.

Any tips here? I think I am on the right track to getting it healthy again but wanted some advice.

I'll snap some photos when I get home if that will help.

Thanks R2R!
 
Here is a photo

1490908905703187497292.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new