Clam siphon flat

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife got me a Derasa clam for my birthday last March. She meant well, but I have a bare bottom tank so I was a little nervous. It was attached and sitting well on an oyster shell. About 6 months ago, it detached and it ripped its byssal threads. It was on the bare bottom for awhile but would not attach. and continually kicked itself around. I tried the Clam Hammock from BRS to no avail.

I recently (two weeks) filled a plastic bin with some live sand and rock and placed the clam in it. Since then, I can see it's foot/threads starting to grow and acclimate to its new "home". It seems happy, not moving, opening and closing as it should and opening wide. However, its mouth tends to gape and it's siphon which used to look rather volcano like (as it should) has basically flattened out into just a hole.

Any tips here? I think I am on the right track to getting it healthy again but wanted some advice.

I'll snap some photos when I get home if that will help.

Thanks R2R!

OP
OP
tanksoftwiddy

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo

1490908905703187497292.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back