Clams and microbubbles

  • Thread starter Thread starter danielsalt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

danielsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2017
Messages
63
Reaction score
84
Location
Gothenburg, Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, sorry if I missed it asked earlier, I only looked a couple of pages back in time ;)

I dont know how much of a thing the "microbubbling method" is over the pond, but I use it. Basicly fill the tank with a superfine haze of bubbles during night to help remove unwated organics and other things.
So as the tank is maturing I will be getting a tridacna or 2 and it got me thinking about the bubbles. Has anybody heard seen or read about whether or not it could be harmful on the clam? Im thinking that perhaps they accumulate too much air over time and they cant get rid of it.
I have read a couple of articles by Fatherree but I havent seen bubbles mentioned at all that I can recall..
 
My clam is mostly closed during the night unless I dose amino. It has grown from around an inch to 6inches in almost a year.
 
I had the same question regarding starfish. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the general rule of thumb for micro bubble scrubbing that you should be able to stand 10 feet back and not see the bubbles in the tank.
 
I had the same question regarding starfish. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the general rule of thumb for micro bubble scrubbing that you should be able to stand 10 feet back and not see the bubbles in the tank.

You are right, one shouldnt really see the bubbles, i was just thinking 1+1+1+....makes up a real bubble inside the clam after long enough.

Also good point about them being mostly closed without light, been a couple of years since my last clam so i dint think of that.
Cheers guys
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new