Clams in SPS reefs?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have clams in high flow SPS tanks?

I'm looking for some advice regarding flow and placement of a maxima. I'd like to add additional clams to the tank as well. It seems like I have high flow above rocks and almost higher flow as downdrafts where opposing flow meets. I'd like to actually increase the flow in the tank but don't want to upset the clam/s. How are you all arranging yours?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, same here. Noae, maxima, crocea all live in high flow areas of the reef. We're not talking powerhead in front of clam flow, but high volume flow. If the mantle dances around it's fine, but if the mantle is pinned up or can't unfold naturally, then changing flow or where the clam is needs to happen.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 3 maxima and a hippo all the maxima up on rock no issue as long as not directly in stream blowing up mantle.

i_SPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0076.jpeg

My clam is doing great in my sps fluval evo. I have about 80x turnover in flow. he is placed so the rock is a natural barrier. sorry for the bad photo, he actually closed up a little when I turned off the gyre.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They deal with a lot more flow, than we run in sps tanks and will probably love the higher light as well
It does seem the reverse is true in the hobby currently, with everyone following the BRS recommended 250-350 PAR, which is not enough for clams in the long term IME, especially as they get larger (18+ cm). Mine average 600.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sit under 400 watt halides. I would like to add more but worried about introducing clam disease when the first is so healthy. Do you quarantine new ones?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem the reverse is true in the hobby currently, with everyone following the BRS recommended 250-350 PAR, which is not enough for clams in the long term IME, especially as they get larger (18+ cm). Mine average 600.
Gasp....BRS gave out poor advice .. That can't be!

I don't know what the trends are, but would agree with you that 250 to 350 is not enough for most maxima clams north of 4 in.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine sit under 400 watt halides. I would like to add more but worried about introducing clam disease when the first is so healthy. Do you quarantine new ones?
If you have established clams and want to add more, then I would set up a QT to observe and deal with potential pests (mainly pyramids).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back