Clams replacing refugium as a nutrient export

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

In a video (can't remember which one) Randy said an employee at BRS swears by the use of clams for nutrient export - keep adding clams until the desired nutrient drop is reached.

Is there an experiment planned to prove/disprove this idea?

Thanks and love the videos

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I think the doc is using oysters for other reason mainly as a constant food source for his dendros , but i can see them pulling organics form the water too I'll be doing similar with my 55 once i have that set up.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I think the doc is using oysters for other reason mainly as a constant food source for his dendros , but i can see them pulling organics form the water too I'll be doing similar with my 55 once i have that set up.
That's great you're going to try it, clams I would have gone with as assistance to filtration and of course that means exporting organic nutrients. The number one reason I went with Pacific oysters is they filter more water per day than any other mollusk. Trying to fine-tune it since 2017 at this time with oysters I usually go with one oyster for every three gallons of water( for nps system, SPS alot less). Also oysters produce pseudo feces which will feed the corals and when they spawn they will also feed corals. Some reasons why I went with oysters and these are the ones you can eat. But Pacific oysters can withstand water temperatures regularly up to 95° Fahrenheit. When you acclimate them in the first few weeks you will lose some oysters possibly. But just keep an eye on them. for the first few weeks I would put them in a plastic mesh bag like the video shows.

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be Tyler from our customer service team that really likes having clams in his tank for filtration. We don't have any BRStv Investigates tests scheduled for this topic, but it's on the ideas list. Right now, all of our test tanks are in use, for at least the next few months.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tested but anecdotally speaking I can attest to rapid nutrient consumption. I have almost zero (Ignore the dirty sand, been slacking on my Maintenance) algae growth. I have quite a few decent sized fish and feed an obscene amount. My “refugium” consists of a 15+lb (estimate) 14” Derasa and two Gigas that are each 6”+ and growing like weeds. I know the original post was referring to clams like quahogs, but tridacnids work as well if not better due to sheer size.

DC549D8D-E083-4765-940B-672A873EB394.jpeg F14E5198-5889-4BB4-922A-B1CE83308240.jpeg

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tested but anecdotally speaking I can attest to rapid nutrient consumption. I have almost zero (Ignore the dirty sand, been slacking on my Maintenance) algae growth. I have quite a few decent sized fish and feed an obscene amount. My “refugium” consists of a 15+lb (estimate) 14” Derasa and two Gigas that are each 6”+ and growing like weeds.
That’s a refugium??? lol Nicest one I ever did see. :)

OP
OP
L

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS - Thanks for the responses and glad it's on your "to-do" list.

The Pacific oysters seem like a suitable substitute to the light loving clams and tons less money and fuss , thanks for the info Dr Dendrostein .

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... Are you guys telling me that I should get more clams?! On it. Lol

Also this is probably not scientific at all, but for what it’s worth, my frag tank is skimmerless, I feed all my fish until they can no longer eat, I dose phyto, aminos, reef roids and benepets every night and my no3 and Po4 stay around 5 and .03.
3080183E-25A2-4497-B3E3-B610A5D1607E.jpeg
82F29AF0-442B-47B6-8476-1BB1C2990037.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Leko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my fish until they can no longer eat, I dose phyto, aminos, reef roids and benepets every night and my no3 and Po4 stay around 5 and .03.

Nice clams!!!

Why not both clams and oysters? The added benefit of the mulm from the oysters ...now I'm more curious than was before I started the post.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my fish until they can no longer eat, I dose phyto, aminos, reef roids and benepets every night and my no3 and Po4 stay around 5 and .03.

Nice clams!!!

Why not both clams and oysters? The added benefit of the mulm from the oysters ...now I'm more curious than was before I started the post.
Honestly, I just never thought about it. If they don’t carry PMD I wouldn’t mind adding some just for variety.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t tested but anecdotally speaking I can attest to rapid nutrient consumption. I have almost zero (Ignore the dirty sand, been slacking on my Maintenance) algae growth. I have quite a few decent sized fish and feed an obscene amount. My “refugium” consists of a 15+lb (estimate) 14” Derasa and two Gigas that are each 6”+ and growing like weeds. I know the original post was referring to clams like quahogs, but tridacnids work as well if not better due to sheer size.

DC549D8D-E083-4765-940B-672A873EB394.jpeg F14E5198-5889-4BB4-922A-B1CE83308240.jpeg
Very nice gigas. I wish they were more available. I would like to have one.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great you're going to try it, clams I would have gone with as assistance to filtration and of course that means exporting organic nutrients. The number one reason I went with Pacific oysters is they filter more water per day than any other mollusk. Trying to fine-tune it since 2017 at this time with oysters I usually go with one oyster for every three gallons of water( for nps system, SPS alot less). Also oysters produce pseudo feces which will feed the corals and when they spawn they will also feed corals. Some reasons why I went with oysters and these are the ones you can eat. But Pacific oysters can withstand water temperatures regularly up to 95° Fahrenheit. When you acclimate them in the first few weeks you will lose some clams possibly. But just keep an eye on them. for the first few weeks I would put them in a plastic mesh bag like the video shows.
Dr. Dendrostein,

You've certainly piqued my curiosity (and pocketbook) with your efforts. That said, where can I get the "Pacific oysters" that you've been using in your filtration experiments?

And, please keep the good work...
Bob

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Dendrostein,

You've certainly piqued my curiosity (and pocketbook) with your efforts. That said, where can I get the "Pacific oysters" that you've been using in your filtration experiments?

And, please keep the good work...
Bob
Call your local supermarkets, ask and see if they carry. They are the most popular oysters sold. Asian markets also.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great you're going to try it, clams I would have gone with as assistance to filtration and of course that means exporting organic nutrients. The number one reason I went with Pacific oysters is they filter more water per day than any other mollusk. Trying to fine-tune it since 2017 at this time with oysters I usually go with one oyster for every three gallons of water( for nps system, SPS alot less). Also oysters produce pseudo feces which will feed the corals and when they spawn they will also feed corals. Some reasons why I went with oysters and these are the ones you can eat. But Pacific oysters can withstand water temperatures regularly up to 95° Fahrenheit. When you acclimate them in the first few weeks you will lose some clams possibly. But just keep an eye on them. for the first few weeks I would put them in a plastic mesh bag like the video shows.

You got me interested as well. One could possibly supplement refugium sump with a few oysters? Do they require anything besides being in water? No light required? The reason I ask, is that I'm thinking on adding a few in my skimmer compartment, after my refugium.

Back