Clean cable chord managment or nah?

Do you care what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 383 59.0%
  • NO

Votes: 47 7.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 211 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the feedback - it's not practical to have power outlets on the side, this is the only reason they are upwards facing (i.e. by design). I have had a 2 socket controller for a long time - there was no water spay getting into it.

Power outlets are not the main fire hazard (if at all), the worst case scenario is that the water would splash and short-circuit the mains - then the main RCD unit will cut it off (I did run a test checking this scenario).

In a typical aquarium the main fire hazard is from overheating DC power units (some of them can reach 70C-90C if not properly positioned), these are typically also buried amongst other cables/equipment, so a fire starting there would spread quickly. So if anything having these moved away from main electrics cabinet reduces the risk of fire.

These 2 units are hanging between a brick wall and aquarium glass, they don't generate any heat (only consume about 20w) and they are away from anyone touching/reaching them, in case the mains become exposed.

When designing all of my DIY devices I pay special attention to electric shock hazard: ensuring the cable has sufficient tension relief (cannot break due to bends) and is firmly secured - i.e. cannot disconnect by accident and even if disconnected, ensure it would stay inside the box..
I have to agree with others that are saying this is a bad idea. Saltwater in any hot outlet can cause fire is a few seconds. Your set up is defiantly not safe. Believe me I was doing some maintenance and dropped a container full of salt water causing it to splash a small amount of saltwater on a power strip which sizzled and burst into flames within seconds. This was a power strip that I was off the floor and never normally could have gotten wet. thank good ness I was paying attention and was right there to put the fire out.
It looks like your mount was 3D printed. If so perhaps you could incorporate a cover into it to make it impossible for water to get into the receptacle and allow for a drip loop.

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that you know what entropy is! From the chemistry teacher.
Some people would just call it laziness. I mean it it still a loss of energy and I am just to lazy to put enough energy in to create a more ordered state. It get's harder and harder over time. Especially when one of the neatly glued cable "organisers" come loose and I do not fix it immediately. Probably a cable tangle represents the maximum possible entropy in the macroscopic world? At least there is less that can be more annoying to fix.

That's a picture of Bolzmann's grave stone that I took on Vienna's "Zentralfriedhof a couple of years ago, btw.

MVIMG_20190101_124824.jpg

zirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one of my side cabinets specifically for power strips and bricks there’s a small cable box that I know will get filled to quickly. The top won’t be fastened so it can be lifted And I won’t hesitate to shorten cords. My goal is to keep it all simple and serviceable . …………….I know this is hopeless but in the planning we have to try
CC749172-F31E-4DE1-B9EF-E2BAC1CC2C5A.jpeg
49CB40A0-73AC-427A-8690-8F11580D3D7C.jpeg
A9519F4D-10B7-4A6B-A781-E72A7C2F3799.jpeg

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cord manage everything, but man is it hard to do on my AIO. It’s one of the biggest reasons I regret not going with a sump tank

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cable management is an art & a balancing act. Sure it can look good, but is it functional when cleaning & servicing?

Personally I lean towards the maintenance side, the easier the access the better. Especially in emergency situations, you can get to it fast. Planning for disasters is NOT fun but in this hobby it's a requirement.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cable management is an art & a balancing act. Sure it can look good, but is it functional when cleaning & servicing?

Personally I lean towards the maintenance side, the easier the access the better. Especially in emergency situations, you can get to it fast. Planning for disasters is NOT fun but in this hobby it's a requirement.
Yeah this is true

I did structured data cabling for years and those installations were impeccable. But they don't really need to come undone for any reason other than complete system replacement.

However, for the aquarium it's a totally necessary to remove equipment on a routine basis.

I think it's easy to show off your cable management right after you wire it. But not after years of use and maintenance.

I employ a mixed approach. All of the cables in my sump area (wet side of cabinet) are routed through J channel open raceways and it's super neat and clean. There are actually no wires to be seen. Then on the dry side of the cabinet, it also looks super clean because the wiring goes through a false wall where all my displays and controllers are mounted. Then the disaster is on the other side of the false wall. All of the wires there are fully loose. But I can trace a line and disconnect it in seconds.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it as a mess no matter where you look… but hey, it’s effective and keeping the tank healthy!
Here’s the sump side
image.jpg

The “dry” side
image.jpg

what can I say? An organised mess!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Just got the control boards up. We are ordering garolite (sp?) which is some sort of fiber board to put under the control panels to hide the wires. Will I get fancy and try to put lights around the boards? Who knows lol's.

The left side is where my dehumidifyer goes and right side cart of fish stuff. Dry side has my trident and doser and containers. Guess I should do a pic of that!

20220425_200901.jpg
20220426_170226.jpg
20220426_193730.jpg
20220426_193805.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back