Clean up crew massacre

RSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got some snails, crabs, and a shrimp and they are being picked off by my Hawkfish.

Are there any clean up crew that can help with algea, but that are safe from dive-bombing fish?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got some snails, crabs, and a shrimp and they are being picked off by my Hawkfish.

Are there any clean up crew that can help with algea, but that are safe from dive-bombing fish?

You could try some type of algae eating sea urchin the hawkfish will not able to eat it for obvious reasons

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the rate of your CUC losses? Is it more than 1/week? I'm asking to see if it's acceptable to just replace them (as you didn't mention getting rid if Hawk fish) and because I was looking at one myself and reports like this make me doubt wanting one.

OP
OP
RSF

RSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try some type of algae eating sea urchin the hawkfish will not able to eat it for obvious reasons
Great idea. I'm gonna do that! I have a tuxedo urchin and he's been fine. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Thanks!!

OP
OP
RSF

RSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the rate of your CUC losses? Is it more than 1/week? I'm asking to see if it's acceptable to just replace them (as you didn't mention getting rid if Hawk fish) and because I was looking at one myself and reports like this make me doubt wanting one.
About 25% of snails added to the tank are gone, the porcelain and emerald crabs have not been seen (I think they're hiding in the rock work) and the peppermint shrimp has been losing limbs and antennae. That coupled with the fact that about a third of what was ordered was DOA has been really depressing for a first stab at adding new livestock

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mexican turbo grazers (which are larger) , conch and lawnmower blenny.
I find hawkfish not worth it, and have eliminated them from future stocking. Love their characteristics but defeats personality and compatability.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 25% of snails added to the tank are gone, the porcelain and emerald crabs have not been seen (I think they're hiding in the rock work) and the peppermint shrimp has been losing limbs and antennae. That coupled with the fact that about a third of what was ordered was DOA has been really depressing for a first stab at adding new livestock
That's too bad. And I don't think urchins are a complete substitute for snails nor do I need a bulldozer in my smaller tank. How can you have a reef tank without snails? Crabs and shrimp sure, I can see they're optional...but snails?!?

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a long spine urchin. Be prepared for the negatives! I love the CUC adds so much movement, activity and color to the tank.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too bad. And I don't think urchins are a complete substitute for snails nor do I need a bulldozer in my smaller tank. How can you have a reef tank without snails? Crabs and shrimp sure, I can see they're optional...but snails?!?

You could try a Fromia starfish? They eat algae, detritus, sponges, etc.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back