Clean up crew??

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so a fellow reefer and I where talking about fish. And he really wants butterfly fish and I want a a red Coris wrasse. The question is. Why do reef tanks need clean up crews and fish only don't. It seems that most people with fish only tanks have fish that will destroy a clean up crew. We both like mixed reefs with different types of coral and fish. Or what are people doing in place of clean up crew? If I have to except I can not have said fishes in reef tank it's ok. Just want to better understand how other people are doing it. Thanks

p.pep85

got more salt then money
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a clean up crew. but there are a lot of fish that can do a good job as a clean up crew a lawnmower blenny is worth its weight in gold to me! there is tangs all kinds of other fish to eat algae sift the sand bed scavenge ect... put your fish to work. there are a lot of folks on here that know a lot more then me i hope the chime in and give you more info.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuz there are more fish I like that may eat my invert clean up crew. But I would rather have the fish over them. I do not plan to have tank packed with coral. Just large colonies of my favorites.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combo of blue legs and Astera snails. As some of these snails comet suicide they can become homes for the blue legs. Note the blue legs need to be large ones.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A CUC in a reef setup helps keep it clean of corals worst enemy, Algae. You do have to be aware of fish that will eat a CUC when stocking your aquarium. Some juvenile fish won't bother CUCs but when they mature and get large they might.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back