Cleaner shrimp dead after a week

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what happened :( He seemed to be so happy and all over the tank.

He just molted three days ago, and I read this morning to wait a couple weeks to do a water change. Well, I didn't know that and did a water change yesterday... Could this have definitely done it?

Man... this sucks.

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change wouldn't have killed a cleaner shrimp. I think you have to look into other factors such as tank parameters or tank mates

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. What is NO3 level? I know they don't tolerate high levels like snails.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change wouldn't have killed a cleaner shrimp. I think you have to look into other factors such as tank parameters or tank mates
I agree. What is NO3 level? I know they don't tolerate high levels like snails.

Thanks guys. Checking all the levels now. Ammonia had jumped a bit, but I think due to the dead shrimp being in the tank overnight.

My NO3 usually stays between 0 and 5 PPM. Waiting on that test now, but its not looking high.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG at 1.025

PH at 8.0

Ammonia jumped to around .25PPM from dead shrimp I believe

Nitrates are around 10PPM

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to take a water sample to my LFS and have them test what I can't. I'll tell them what happened and see if they can figure it out.

I know some people supplement iron for shrimp. I also know some don't and all is well. Could a lack of iron have killed my shrimp after a molt?

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do waterchanges weekly or biweekly at a decent percentage I don't see any reason there would be deficiencies that would've lead to the shrimps death. How was the shrimps overall health to begin with? Perhaps he was sick and you may just be overthinking it?

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do waterchanges weekly or biweekly at a decent percentage I don't see any reason there would be deficiencies that would've lead to the shrimps death. How was the shrimps overall health to begin with? Perhaps he was sick and you may just be overthinking it?

I do 8% changes every week.

How are you getting ammonia spikes from one dead shrimp?

May have been a misread from the test kit. LFS showed 0 ammonia. 30 on nitrate. I may be overfeeding? Only thing I can think of especially after doing a water change just yesterday. I only feed about half a frozen cube of mysis shrimp a day.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hard time keeping shrimp for a long time. I just put 2 peppermint shrimp in about a month and a half ago, so far so good.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Bacto Balls to deal with previous high NO3. Now I'm jammed at 0 even though I've increased coral feeding. However I do have somewhat high Pho.

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to provide an educated theory, my most accurate thought would be that maybe your water chemistry is not balanced and the reason you saw your shrimp molting was due to the stress it received from your tank parameters or perhaps shipping. So either the shrimp was terribly stressed and in bad shape from the start, or your system is currently imbalanced and cannot support life to invertebrates and potentially sensitive fish

Goat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what happened :( He seemed to be so happy and all over the tank.

He just molted three days ago, and I read this morning to wait a couple weeks to do a water change. Well, I didn't know that and did a water change yesterday... Could this have definitely done it?

Man... this sucks.

Same thing happened to me. I can't seem to keep them alive after they molt. Haven't tried since my tank was probably 3 months old, but may add one soon since I'm approachig a year with no issues.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to provide an educated theory, my most accurate thought would be that maybe your water chemistry is not balanced and the reason you saw your shrimp molting was due to the stress it received from your tank parameters or perhaps shipping. So either the shrimp was terribly stressed and in bad shape from the start, or your system is currently imbalanced and cannot support life to invertebrates and potentially sensitive fish

Could you, or anyone, point me in the right direction of getting my tank Shrimp ready? They're by far my favorite creatures to have in my tank. Loved watching him.

The LFS thinks my levels wouldn't seem to be the cause of death. I wasn't supplementing iodine. Is this 100% needed? Anything else I should definitely be doing with a cleaner shrimp? I'd love to keep another long term. He seemed perfect. All over tank, tank mates would swim up to him, eating like crazy...

Goat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you, or anyone, point me in the right direction of getting my tank Shrimp ready? They're by far my favorite creatures to have in my tank. Loved watching him.

The LFS thinks my levels wouldn't seem to be the cause of death. I wasn't supplementing iodine. Is this 100% needed? Anything else I should definitely be doing with a cleaner shrimp? I'd love to keep another long term. He seemed perfect. All over tank, tank mates would swim up to him, eating like crazy...

How old is the tank?

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on the right track getting your levels tested by experts. You said LFS I think in another post so I'd make sure you aren't taking your water sample to just some LFS store that is gonna test it with API tests that you could've performed at home.

To be honest, I'd have to think something is semi wrong with the environment or something wrong with the shrimp you had.

I just transferred my shrimp from my old tank to my new tank. Cycled with dr tims one and only and had the shrimp in the next week. Tank is aboit 2 and a half months old now and I've seen my shrimp molt twice. He eats and cleans my fish and is still very healthy. So on that note, I'd first ascertain your parameters and ensure everything is in line. Then give it another shot and scout a healthy cleaner shrimp to add to your system.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back