• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Cleaner Wrasse Laying on Bottom

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello. I bought a cleaner wrasse from the LFS this weekend and he has been doing great but this morning he doesn't wanna leave his bed. He looks fine, is breathing fine, and has all his coloration he is just chilling there. The only thing I see that may be unusual is he is holding his mouth open but he was like that when I bought him.

Any help or vote of confidence would be appreciated.
IMG_5274[1].JPG
IMG_5275[1].JPG

OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
any changes yet? have you tried to feed today?
No he is still laying there. He took one little gulp of food this morning but he hasn't gotten any better. I have tried to "nudge" him a bit but he just swam up a bit and went right back to his hidey hole. Now he just kinda moves out of the way and doesnt swim out. He is still breathing though it is just like he is in hibernation or something.

OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
cleaner wrasses are kinda touch and go:(but lets get some expert help here #reefsqaud
Thank you. He is still just laying there. Usually after 4 hours or so, in my experience, if the fish is laying there to die, it would have died by now. Maybe he is a little sick or something or just being lazy who knows. No visible wounds, still has all his color, breathing is still normal.

Drobbin0608

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In my experience, when they are stressed out for whatever reason, they tend to do wrasse things. What I mean by wrasse things is that they tend to burrow or find a comfy spot on the sand and hang out. Now, with that being said was it swimming around perfectly fine? Do you have a copepod population? How often do you feed? Any parameters change recently?

OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
In my experience, when they are stressed out for whatever reason, they tend to do wrasse things. What I mean by wrasse things is that they tend to burrow or find a comfy spot on the sand and hang out. Now, with that being said was it swimming around perfectly fine? Do you have a copepod population? How often do you feed? Any parameters change recently?
It was swimming fine yesterday. This morning when I turned the lights on he was in his normal resting spot he just didn't come out. I have a good copepod population. I feed about 2-3 times a day. No big parameter swings lately.

OP
Agsellers04

Agsellers04

View Badges
Reaction score
Update: Still alive but sitting still. I very gently picked him up a little with the tongs and he flopped in a spiral pattern back to the bottom. Hopefully he will survive the night.

https://www.omegasea.net/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
These guys are fairly active and hardy. As suggested , let it do its thing. As with mine of 6 years, in the early evening, they select a spot in the rockwork to be their cleaning station. Additionally these wrasses should be kept within a sandbed, as they may choose to bury themselves for the night. It could be that it is settled.
You may very well find it all over the tank in the morning as mine does.

Fragtacular Sale

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 241 42.7%
  • Every Month

Votes: 32 5.7%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 67 11.9%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 81 14.4%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 59 10.5%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 28 5.0%