Cleaning a 300G tank

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need assistance with tips on cleaning the bottom glass perimeter of the tank. To complicate things, the tank has a 4in Eurobrace around the whole top and center.

The algae is the tough green algae that grows on glass. I use a flipper to normally clean the glass, but this stuff is tough. I know magic eraser works well, but how am I supposed to reach over the euro brace and scrap all the way down there by hand? Anybody have any suggestions?

IMG_2109.jpeg
IMG_2110.jpeg IMG_2111.jpeg

Last edited:

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need assistance with tips on cleaning the bottom glass perimeter of the tank. To complicate things, the tank has a 4in Eurobrace around the whole top and center.

The algae is the tough green algae that grows on glass. I use a flipper to normally clean the glass, but this stuff is tough. I know magic eraser works well, but how am I supposed to reach over the euro brace and scrap all the way down there by hand? Anybody have any suggestions?
I know some people get a long pole with a razor blade or magic eraser and clean the glass.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is what I was talking about. You should get one of those
Yes -- been doing this for years, works wonders! Just be careful though -- you might scratch the glass (at least low-iron ones) if you don't angle it properly. It happened to me. Just like scratches on your new car, the first one hurts (and hurts badly) but subsequent scratches don't hurt as much as the first one! I'm OCD to put things in perspective...lol

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the height on the tank??? Is it a 300 long or 300 tall? Having a strong & diverse CUC will make algae scrapping much easier if the water quality & parameters allow for a CUC. Also algae eating fish like a mower blenny, any Ctenochaetus sp. of tang & rabbit fish. Helps to introduce animals that trim algae in between your maintenance schedule. Again, if your tank is set up for these animals to thrive, I’m assuming it is by the type of algae growth you are describing.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the height on the tank??? Is it a 300 long or 300 tall? Having a strong & diverse CUC will make algae scrapping much easier if the water quality & parameters allow for a CUC. Also algae eating fish like a mower blenny, any Ctenochaetus sp. of tang & rabbit fish. Helps to introduce animals that trim algae in between your maintenance schedule. Again, if your tank is set up for these animals to thrive, I’m assuming it is by the type of algae growth you are describing.
It’s 7ft long and 26in high (on top of the stand). I have puffer fish and triggerfish so I can have snails or invertebrates. I have tangs and rabbit fish already in the tank.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a blade scraper but razor blades need to have rounded edges and flexible/ like paper, attach to a broomstick if needed extra length, the thinner the blade the better... as it allows it flex ... instead of a corner edge (avoid) which will gouge the glass and you will only see damage once algae grows in the gouge
Round edged paper thin razors

Attachments

• IMG20230909160637.jpg
    IMG20230909160637.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG20230909160653.jpg
    IMG20230909160653.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG20230909160720.jpg
    IMG20230909160720.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 24

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, puffer & triggers are a no go but definitely try adding Ctenochaetus tangs like a kole, chevron, chocolate, whitetail, tomini tangs, any bristle tooth tang that is built to scrape late areas of algae. Same for mower blenny or starry blenny that are a massive help for controlling algae.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a flipper card on my 300g but a credit card works well too. I used to use razor blades on my old tank but over time I found scratches where I wasn’t careful enough.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a blade scraper but razor blades need to have rounded edges and flexible/ like paper, attach to a broomstick if needed extra length, the thinner the blade the better... as it allows it flex ... instead of a corner edge (avoid) which will gouge the glass and you will only see damage once algae grows in the gouge
Round edged paper thin razors
This is the exact one I use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back