Cleaning a Decorator crab

  • Thread starter Thread starter jordanrb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jordanrb

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2025
Messages
224
Reaction score
58
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received a decorator crab. It is covered in GHA. While it looks cool i also dont want to have a constant issue with it in the tank.

If I had a sufficient CUC could the GHA be stopped from spreading in my tank or does it need to be removed off the crab.

If the latter, what is the best way to do so without harming the crab.
1000016062.jpg
 
Hopefully if your tank isnt nutrient rich enough to grow gha the algae on the crab will starve and wither away. If you have a sump...maybe banish it to the sump in the dark for awhile so the algae is starved for light. No light...no photosynthesis....no algae growth.
 
Hopefully if your tank isnt nutrient rich enough to grow gha the algae on the crab will starve and wither away. If you have a sump...maybe banish it to the sump in the dark for awhile so the algae is starved for light. No light...no photosynthesis....no algae growth.
Unfortunately no sump. And my nutrients are quite high Phosphates are at 0.2 and Nitrates habe always been steadily at 20ppm
 
It looks like some of my snails. It doesn't hurt anything so I ignore it. On my astraea snails it works as a parachute to keep them upright when they fall off the rocks or glass.
Ok good to know. He looks super cool so I wasnt mad that he came with it but as long as I can tame the gsp in the tank from it I will be good.
 
Unfortunately no sump. And my nutrients are quite high Phosphates are at 0.2 and Nitrates habe always been steadily at 20ppm
Those are not really too bad. The only thing I would lower is the phosphate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new